‘Student Workers’ Show in Art Gallery

Student workers as well as their friends have been coming together to exhibit their talents by putting their art on display pieces in the campus’ art gallery this past month.

Their work can be seen in the library from Thursday to Saturday from 12p.m. to 6p.m. until Oct. 2.

Professor of visual and performing arts Roger Dickes said, “I try to have a theme for each event.but putting it together can be hard.”

After an exhibition is done there is a two week period in which Dickes has to prepare for the next show.

Slideshow Media Credit: Richard Kontas

Dickes tries hard to get six to 10 art shows displayed throughout the year, some of which can include well known artists’ work in them.
Sergey Akadanova, 37, is a student worker from Germany who was glad to see that he was able to create a piece that he thought is beautiful to him.

His craft is an acrylic canvas that has clown fish swimming in a forest. Akadanova titled it “Clown Fish in Forest.”

“I never have seen a clown fish before and when I did I discovered that they are meant to be funny,” Akadanova said. At first glance, it can be a difficult trying to grasp the idea of how can fish swim in a forest.

According to Akadanova that is the beauty of art, the way people interpret what is being seen. “That people have a misconception of what beauty is because that is what is in our heads,” he said.

The gallery is filled with different art pieces, but is best experienced if the observation is done starting from the left side going clockwise.

The first piece is a photograph done by Noel Truick titled “Man down.” Clearly the image of a man drinking at a bar can be illustrated by a couple of empty glass cups and only one cup half filled with alcohol.
Tatiana Akadanova brings life to the room with her “I am alive” acrylic. It’s a face but the most interesting part abut the face is the forehead, which has been replaced by mountains. The background has a blue color that emphasizes the big orange face in the middle.

After “Clown Fish in Forest” there are Rebecca Wong’s dolls, titled “The Twin Sisters,” which bring a sense of teenage rebellion.

Next is Carol Wong’s graphite on paper “Joker,” which looks just like the Joker from “Batman.” Below “Joker” is another acrylic on paper done by her.
Following Wong is Andrew Robinson’s transferred on board acrylic “Secret”. To most it might look like a naked woman but look closely and her beauty can be seen within.

Another of Robinson’s charcoal on board acrylic follows. At first it is not clear what it is but that is the point because he titles it “Galaxy Sleeping.”
At first John Fox’s charcoal on wood, “Dante,” seems violent compared to his other two pieces. It’s the coloring that brings light to it.

However, it is not the colors that bring Fox’s next two works alive but the images itself.

“A Season in Hell” is Fox’s mixed media collage on a canvas. It has pictures of children running way from soldiers trying to kill them. The canvas illustrates the feelings of people running for their life.
The next mixed media collage on a canvas is Fox’s “Fluer de mal.”

Violence and fear is put aside to bring Dave Lovejoy’s next three mixed media assemblage. The first is untitled; the last two are “Artifact” and “No Contest.”
Towards the end there is Arevik Martirosyan’s three pieces, “The Sky is getting closer,” “Anytime now.,” and “Stairway to..” The first is a digital print and the last two are photographs.
At the end of the journey, Andrew Steven Flores’ untitled acrylic and spray paint on canvases are waiting.

And for the grand ending Rebecca Wong’s last piece leaves the gallery experience with a fear thought in mind. She titled her mixed media assemblage “Lost in Mushroom Land.”

For information on future exhibits check: www.glendale.edu/community/press/events.htm.

‘Student Workers’ Show in Art Gallery