The Flame Broiler Café Opens in College Plaza

In the last week of August, the College Plaza right across the street from GCC added a new Korean restaurant where hungry students can satisfy their hunger: The Flame Broiler.

Across from Quiznos sits the healthy and appetizing choice, The Flame Broiler, vibrant with “Now Open” banners.

As one walks in, the bright green-colored walls and flat screen TV greet one’s eyes, while the rich smell of beef vegetables and chicken bowls consume the senses.

To the left of the entrance, the eatery has a self-service counter filled with six choices of soda pop, straws, chop sticks, napkins and a “magic sauce” (which happens to taste a lot like soy sauce) in a large pump bottle.

Eight tables for two are spread throughout the restaurant, perfect for a student on the go, or a couple wanting a quick bite to eat.

The menu consists of six bowls and five plates of one’s choice with either white or brown rice, beef, chicken or vegetables at pocket change prices ranging from $5.35 to $6.99.

That’ll give one a plastic black bowl of tender chicken or beef and steamed vegetables on top of sticky rice. There are even mini bowls for a smaller price if one wants a flavorful snack on a full stomach and empty wallet.

The young staff dressed in black aprons and visors are pleased to help customers with their order. Whether it’s their excitement with a new job, or trying to impress their boss, the service is excellent.

As advertised on its Web site, the Flame Broiler is known for being a healthy alternative to other restaurants: The Flame Broiler menu has bowls for as low as 530 calories, zero trans-fat, and plates for 730 calories and zero trans-fat.

Even though the hearty meals may lack in calories, The Flame Broiler certainly doesn’t lack in flavor. The mixture of seasonings and spices ignite a mouth-watering sensation that will have customers coming back for a second time and most likely a third.

The amount of time it takes to get your food may take longer than a fast-food restaurant, but when the tasty seasoned beef, the juicy vegetables and the steamed rice flavor hits those taste buds, the wait will have been well worth it.

It is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.