‘Fast and Furious’ Sequel Crashes and Burns

Confusion!
That is the only word that can be said after watching the movie “The Fast and The Furious.” Pardon, “Fast and Furious.”

“New Model. Original Parts” is the catchy slogan for the new movie, directed by Justin Lin (“The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift,” 2006) and written by Chris Morgan (“Wanted,” 2008). Of course the slogan is referencing to the new story and returning actors to complete the fourth installment of the Universal Studios street-racing series.

Now, this movie is an “interquel” that is supposed to take place between the second and third movie, even though it would make a little more sense if it took place between the first and second movies because placing it between the second and third movie really takes it off the storyline of the series.

It starts out very entertaining and thrilling when Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel, “The Fast and The Furious,” 2001) and his crew are stealing fuel tanks on the highway in the Dominican Republic.

Toretto, being a wanted man, then decides that it is too risky to be doing anymore criminal activities and decides to leave his crew and hide out in Panama for a while.

In Panama, he receives a phone call informing him on the death of a loved one, which forces him to come back home to Los Angeles.

FBI agent Brian O’Connor, played by Paul Walker (“The Fast and The Furious,” 2001), is then seen chasing a guy through Downtown L.A. The audience learns that he is in pursuit of a cold-blooded, drug smuggling ringleader, Arturo Braga, who is also involved in the death of Toretto’s loved one. Soon enough, both O’Connor and Toretto cross paths while on their own investigations and decide that they have to work together in order to get what they each want.

Throughout the movie there are disagreements, shiny new cars and fine-looking women who fill in the blanks between the action scenes.

In the end, “Fast and Furious” seems more like a love story wrapped around a thin corn tortilla of action, than a “fast and furious” action-packed never-ending car race.
First off, “Fast and Furious.” Couldn’t anyone come up with a better title? How about this one: “The Fast and I Want my Brain Cells Back!”

The driving scenes, along side the acting and car model choices are quite nauseating.

The shaky camera angles during the racing and car chase scenes feel similar to those in “Cloverfield” (2008), which makes it difficult to enjoy the thrill of the action.

“Fast and Furious” will excite the average series and street-car lover, but it will disappoint in the end.

The series fan base (mostly guys dragging their girlfriends or wives along) will see this movie only on the basis of wanting to know what’s going to happen next in terms of the storyline.

Keep in mind that when watching this movie, don’t think about the first, second or third films, or else your head will be filled with unanswered questions, leaving you in a state “furious” confusion.
My rating: 2 out of 5 stars