‘Boy Gets Girl’ Gets Actors During Theater Auditions

On Friday, the Glendale Community College theater arts department held auditions for its upcoming play, Rebecca Gilman’s “Boy Gets Girl.” Some of the more notable performances of this show were held at the Royal Court Theatre in London and Manhattan Theatre Club in New York during 2001.

The auditorium lobby was filled with hopefuls looking forward to making their theater debut as well as the more experienced, who were just excited to be back with old friends and participate in another production.

The show will be directed by Jeanette Farr, who wasn’t able to comment on the auditions at the time. However, stage manager Libby Letlow was more than excited to discuss the production and the auditions.

“Boy Gets Girl” tells the story of a woman named Theresa who gets set up on a blind date. After two dates with the mysterious and awkward Tony, Theresa decides not to continue seeing him. However, as the play unfolds, there is a lot more to Tony than anyone could imagine. Theresa’s life, as she knew it, will never be the same.

Letlow said the show will be put on by a small cast of seven characters, however, there will be an alternative cast as well to provide different interpretations of the same characters.

“We are looking for actors who can bring a sense of realness to the show since it is such a realistic topic,” said Letlow.

“I’m a little nervous but I’m trying to stay indifferent through the experience,” said Ashley, who was auditioning for the role of Theresa. Ryan Robbins, who has appeared in productions such as “Waiting for Lefty” and “Bus Stop,” was also auditioning for the upcoming Farr production as Tony.

“This is obviously my passion,” said Robbins. He also said that he was excited to see all the new faces in the performing arts program and to see what the new talent could bring to this show and others.

The show will be held at the studio theater, which is located within the auditorium.

Letlow said they wanted to make it a more personal experience between actors and the audience as it is much harder to establish a connection like that in a larger theater setting.

The show will open on April 30 and will run until May 16.

Ticket prices for the show are $10 general admission, $6 for seniors and students, and $4 for groups of 10 or more.