Pop Ensemble Cabaret Showcases Vocal Talent

The fall cabaret featuring Vocal Pops Ensemble and Commercial Voice was off to a good start when Commercial Voice welcomed a full house with a warm and vibrant “It’s Today” on Nov. 18 in the auditorium.

Pam Glazier lit up the stage singing “Bye, Bye Blackbird,” followed by Armond Pirjanian capturing the mournful feeling of Elton John’s “Daniel.”

“I’ll Never Fall in Love Again” was performed by Kathy Gonoude in cheerful tones.

“Progression” soon followed, as the room was filled with the instrumental sounds from musicians Brent Crayon, Oliver Steinberg and Emeliano Almeida, who accompanied all the soloists and chorus numbers on guitar, piano and drums.

Mondo Fowler sang “Exhale,” which began slowly at first but progressed into a jazzy tune.

“You’re Just in Love,” a charming piece sung by Vocal Pops Ensemble, had creative choreography as the women sat on benches, singing shoulder to shoulder, as the two men in the chorus came in to sing over their shoulders and explain “you’re not sick, you’re just in love.”

Janice Robinson sang a mellow version of “Natural Woman,” followed by a choral version of “Unforgettable” and “I’ve Got You Under My Skin,” sung by vocal pops ensemble.
A wistful number, by Jamie Avancena and Kysara Montoya, “If Momma Was Married,” was a song about two gypsy girls who long for their mothers to marry so they could live in a house, instead of a caravan.

“Not for the Life of Me,” from the musical “Thoroughly Modern Millie,” was sung by Jamie Young. The song tells a story about a girl who moves away from a small town to a big city and is not planning to move back – Young roused the audience with her performance and spirit.

An entertaining and funny “Don’t Tell Mamma,” with its racy lyrics sung by the women’s ensemble, told a story about a girl who lives a completely different life from the one she tells her “mamma.”

The show closed with a rousing “People Get Ready,” sung by Commercial Voice and Vocal Pops Ensemble.

Charles Ion, music instructor, said that the show is for singers who have more experience, but some are just starting out.
The goal is to “package” the singer -how the singer sounds and the motions they make with their hands to emote the mood of the song.

The Fall Cabaret is an extra chance for students to give a performance so their friends and family can come said Ion.
” We’d like to include all three of my classes in the next show we
do,” said Ion.

The next choir performance will be held on Dec. 6 at 7:30 in the auditorium. For more information, contact the music department at (818) 240-1000, ext.5829

Corinna Scott
Corinna Scott, Staff Illustrator
Corinna Scott is a self-proclaimed artist, writer, and journalist. She has studied journalism since 2000. Starting at East Los Angeles College and ending up at the award winning Glendale Community College’s El Vaquero. She has won an award for her newswriting, taken top place in a news poll for her Board of Trustees stories, and won an honorable mention for her cartoon. Corinna has studied animation arts while attending GCC from 1998 to 1999 whereupon she changed her mind on her major and entered the exciting world of  Journalism complete with competing in state-wide competitions.