Aging Indiana Comes Back for More in ‘Crystal Skull’

He’s back…Henry “Indiana” Jones, the famous archaeologist and adventurer, returns in the fourth film of the Indiana Jones series directed by Academy Award-winner Steven Spielberg (“War of the Worlds,” 2005) with new surprises and thrills.

“Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” starts off in the year 1957 with an older and wiser Indiana Jones blowing the dust off of his hat and whip to go up against the agents of the Soviet Union, led by Irina Spalko, in the quest for the Crystal Skull.

Harrison Ford portrays Indiana Jones just as well as he did in the previous three movies.
However, the movie lacks a certain believable quality because Jones takes more punches and kicks then a man his age could endure.

Academy award winner Cate Blanchett (“Notes on a Scandal,” 2006), portrays the role of Soviet Union spy, Irina Spalko brilliantly. Blanchett’s look is vicious and her attitude labels her the villain.

Jones’ former lover Marion Ravenwood/Williams portrayed by Karen Allen (“When Will I Be Loved,” 2004) was charming and funny because despite her older age, her spirit and nature kept her young.

Motorcycle-riding greaser and sidekick, Henry “Mutt” Williams whose portrayal by Shia LaBeouf (“Disturbia,” 2007) is sufficient. LaBeouf provides the movie with its comedic aspect by cracking jokes about Jones’ age.

Spielberg’s filmmaking skills are shown off in this movie. The action scenes are exhilarating and do not disappoint.

Although this movie is a part of the adventure/fantasy genre the mixture of special and visual effects and set decorations provides a realistic understanding of the visual aspects.

The locations like the caves and the temples looked as if they actually existed and were not made in a Hollywood soundstage.

The stunts in this fourth installment of the Indiana Jones series are gut-wrenching due to the situations they are set in; like the car chase through the jungle.

Both costume designers Bernie Pollack (“Hollywood Homicide, 2003”) and Mary Zophres (“Lions for Lambs, 2007”) are very skilled. The costumes are appropriate for the 1950s.

This movie brings memories back from the past and builds new memories. Overall, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a movie that has been long awaited and fulfills the expectations of a feel good, action/adventure movie.

My rating: 3 out of 4 stars.
***

Rated PG-13
Runtime:124 minutes