‘Baby Mama’ Makes Infertility Fun

Former Saturday Night Live (SNL) cast members reunite in this spring’s funniest movie to date, “Baby Mama” from writer and director Michael McCullers, who also brought us the “Austin Powers” series.

When prim and proper businesswoman Kate Holbrook (Tina Fey) finds herself in her thirties, un-wed and without children she decides she needs to finally start the family she had been holding back on for so long. Since finding a man is tough when you’re as career driven as Holbrook had to find a new menthod in starting a family. Since she cannot get pregnant, she decides to hire a surrogate mother, or in plainer terms, a “Baby Momma,” Angie Ostrowiski (Amy Poehler).

Holbrook and Ostrowiski find themselves under the same roof when Ostrowiski leaves her husband (Carl) played by MTV’s “Punked” star Dax Shepard and has nowhere else to go. Holbrook finds having the new roommate exciting, however, having the ability to take the journey along with Ostrowiski while she is carrying her child is more than she expected.

Along the way Holbrook learns of many habits that disgust her. Like the fact that Ostrowiski eats pure junk food and does not appreciate the delicious organic food that Holbrook enjoys. But in no time these two are having a ball together, talking boys and love, taking lamaze classes together and even brushing up on the fine art of karaoke.

One of the most entertaining scenes in the movie is when Holbrook has just finished having the house child-protected and ready for the new arrival, and Ostrowiski cannot figure out how to open the toilet seat with the new latch attached. So instead of asking for help, she decides to use the sink as her toilet. When Holbrook sees what Ostrowiski is doing, the look of disgust on her face makes the entire scene.

Co-starring the always funny Steve Martin, who plays Holbrook’s very “earthy” boss Barry, fellow SNL cast members Will Forte (Scott) and Fred Armisen (Stroller Salesmen). Also featuring Sigourney Weaver (Chaffee Bicknell) and Greg Kinnear as Holbrook’s love interest Rob.

Martin strays away from the clean-cut characters he has previously played in movies like “Father of the Bride” and “Cheaper by the Dozen” and turns into a very unique character. He is obsessed with the outdoors and traveling, and very much into organic food.

And when his employee’s do a job well, he gives them a full five minutes of just staring into their eyes. If that is not akward enough, then his long gray hair tied into a ponytail and very earthy clothing will leave you wondering if that was really Martin in the movie. Strange as it all may sound, it all meshes incredibly well with the story.

This movie will have the audience rolling on the floor with laughter, and leaving the theater with sore abdominal muscles. The chemistry that Fey and Poelher share on the silver screen in unbelievable.

“Baby Mama” is rated PG-13 for crude and sexual humor, language and a drug reference.

I give this movie a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

In theaters nationwide.

Written and directed and by Michael McCullers. Produced by John Goldwyn and Lorne Michaels and executive produced by Jill Sobel Messick and Louise Rosner. Original music by Jeff Richmond. Cinematography by Daryn Okada. Casting by Avy Kaufman. Released by Universal Pictures. Production company Broadway Video in association with Relativity Media. Running time: 96 minutes.

‘Baby Mama’ Makes Infertility Fun