Linwood’s Debut CD Leaves a First-Degree ‘Burn Effect’

Linwood’s debut CD leaves one with a first-degree “Burn Effect.”

The four-piece band from Cleveland, Miss. consists of lead singer Bo Lindsey, Scott Coopwood plays guitar, Barry Bays on bass and Rick Shelton bangs the drums.

Linwood’s music does not have the typical message all rock bands rock on about. “We write what’s in [our] hearts and what we really feel,” said Lindsey on the band’s Myspace page. Apparently, the messages from these rockers are lost in translation because there are slight hints of what the messages are but in the end confusion still lingers.

Linwood’s music lacks a real valuable aspect that divides the amateur from professional. The formula for a great song isn’t just putting words to music, as this band has done but making sure the lyrics, melodies and rhythms all blend in harmony.

The band’s debut album, “Burn Effect,” has 11 songs that torture you. All the lyrics in the songs have a negative influence. Lyrics like “Lie to me and lie to you,” “the dead are everywhere,” and “you’re better then me” only instill discouraging thoughts among listeners.

Although the band members claim that they are influenced by such huge rock idols as like Foo Fighters, R.E.M., Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Beatles, U2, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, the band is far behind the great works of these number one hit providers.

Linwood needs to leave their ’90s music back in the ’90s and transition to the new millennium. The sound of the band is very ’90s because in the millennium new technology has risen and it seems like this album was recorded in a garage or a basement.

It might have taken two years to write all the songs and release this album, but [the band] should have taken more time and put in more effort to produce an acceptable album.

According to their press kit Linwood chose 11 songs out of 22 to put on the album. After listening to all 11 songs it seems like they are either playing a cruel joke on the listeners or the wrong 11[songs] were purposely put on this album to sabotage the bands career.

Despite all the negative aspects of Linwood and “Burn Effect” the vocals are a little bit above average and with more training and lyrical assistance Linwood’s next album might actually be enjoyable. After giving this band another try without skipping through the tracks it ended up being thrown out my car window.

This summer Linwood will be making a short tour of the larger cities in the South. Don’t waste your time or money as their only fans will be their families.

My Rating:
1 out of 4 stars
*

For more information visit: www.myspace.com/burneffected www.linwoodmusic.net