Letters to the Editor

Greetings and congratulations on the latest publication of El Vaquero. The campus paper certainly has its share of personal perspectives and profound insights. As a GCC student, I make it a point to pick up each new issue.

However, this letter is in regard to an article in the latest edition, dated Nov. 21, titled “Food Fair Provides Variety of Flavors.”

Apparently unknown to El Vaquero, and now the entire student body, the Nov. 13 international event involved two campus organizations, the duly credited United Cultural Club (UCC) and the International Students Club (ISC). As a member of the ISC, I was disappointed to find out that, though our picture was proudly exhibited with the article, not one word about the club was mentioned.

First, let me tell you about the International Student’s Club. We are a non-profit social club on campus, comprised of more than 500 international and local students. The mission of the organization is to promote the many cultures represented on campus and to introduce students, not native to the United States, to the local area and to the people of different nations.

Holding several events per semester, which include parties and fundraisers, the International Education Day and Food Fair held Nov. 13 was two biggest and most successful.

The above said event was composed of the UCC’s food fair and the ISC’s cultural education booths. Each booth represented a nation present on campus and allowed onlookers to learn more about the cultures that participated.

It was a very colorful occasion with festively decorated tables. Students, involved in the club were decked out in their countries’ traditional costumes.

As observers moved from booth to booth, a representative from each nation delivered a speech to the Plaza about their native country and international education experiences. The International Educational Day, along with UCC’s fabulous Food Fair, was quite the educational celebration and scrumptious success.

Again, I would like to express my regret in not seeing any mention of the International Students Club or the International Education Day in the article. Though the event was meretriciously documented, it is unfair to omit an entire organization who poured effort and countless hours preparing for and participating in an event.

Thank you very much for your time. I look forward to reading the coming editions of El Vaquero; hopefully a paper that will gain a wider, more observant, perspective with future issues. Good luck.

— Jacques Philippe Izon Reyes

Letters to the Editor