New Films Promise Summer Entertainment

Summer is just around the corner, and a crop of new movies is about to be released Here is a sampling of cinematic treats for the summer.

“The Omen”

Release Date: In theaters now

Stars: Liev Schreiber, Julia Stiles, Mia Farrow, David Thewlis and Seamus Davey-Fitzpatrick

Synopsis: Robert Thorn’s wife, Katharine, has bad luck when it comes to bearing children. After a stillbirth, Thorn, on the council of a priest, adopts another child born the same night. Unfortunately, their new child, Damien, is the anti-Christ.

“A Prairie Home Companion”

Release Date: June 9

Stars: Tommy Lee Jones, Woody Harrelson, Meryl Streep, Maya Rudolph, Kevin Kline and Lindsay Lohan

Synopsis: A cozy little live radio station show in St. Paul Minnesota draws small crowds but the radio station’s sale to a Texas conglomerate means this Saturday night’s performance is the last.

“Cars”

Release Date: June 9

Voices: Owen Wilson, Paul Newman, Bonnie Hunt and Richard Petty

Synopsis: A speed racing car by the name of Lighting McQueen is focused on the finish line until he gets stuck in a sleepy Route 66 town and discovers love with Sally.

“The Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift”

Release Date: June 16

Stars: Lucas Black, Bow Wow, Sung Kang and Nathalie Kelly.

Synopsis: Sean Boswell, an underdog street racer with in impetuous attitude, has gotten into trouble with local authorities and is sent off to live in Tokyo with his strict father. While in Tokyo he gets dragged into the notorious and fast-paced world of drifting.

“Superman Returns”

Release Date: June 30

Stars: Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth, James Marsden and Kevin Spacey
Synopsis: Superman, Clark Kent, has been gone several years. Coming back to Metropolis he finds his world changed; a world that does not need him and where the love of his life Lois Lane has found another. To make matters worse, an old enemy is plotting against him.

“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest”

Release Date: July 7

Stars: Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Geoffrey Rush and Keira Knightly
Synopsis: Will Turner and fiance Elizabeth Swanson are about to be married, unfortunately Captian Jack Sparrow owes a blood debt to Davy Jones and will be enslaved in his afterlife if he doesn’t pay the debt back ASAP.

“The Passion of the Clerks”

Release Date: July 21

Stars: Brian Christopher O’Halloran, Jeff Anderson, Rosario Dawson, Jason Mews and Kevin Smith

Synopsis: In this “Clerks” sequel, we see the continuing antics of the Quick Stop and RST Video clerks Dante and Randal, who are starting to figure out that it’s about time they pull themselves together and grow up.

“Snakes on a Plane”

Release Date: Aug. 18

Stars: Samuel L. Jackson, Benjamin McKenzie, Nathan Phillips, Rachel Blanchard and Kenan Thompson

Synopsis: An assassin stalking a witness in protective custody on a plane over the Pacific Ocean unleashes a crate full of deadly snakes.

New Films Promise Summer Entertainment