Search to Resume for California Woman

MODESTO, Calif. (AP) — Police divers were to resume searching a marina Saturday for a pregnant woman missing since Christmas Eve.

Police have been looking for Laci Peterson, 27, since then, when her husband reported her missing upon his return from a fishing trip he said he took that day to the Berkeley Marina.

The Modesto woman is eight months pregnant, and her husband said he last saw her on the morning of Dec. 24. A neighbor found her dog later that day walking alone through the neighborhood and her car was still parked in her driveway.

Authorities pulled one body from the water on Thursday, but quickly said it was not Peterson’s. Further information about that body was not immediately available.

Later that day, police announced the sonar equipment had detected what could possibly be another body in the Berkeley Marina area.

The Modesto Police Department said inclement weather and fatigue among the divers prevented them from retrieving the object or investigating any further Thursday night.

Scott Peterson, Laci’s husband, has not been named as a suspect in the case. Police say they have not ruled anyone out in the woman’s disappearance.

Meanwhile, volunteers are still making fliers and maintaining a Web site out of a command center at a Modesto hotel.

Hotel manager Brad Saltzman says the mood is “filled with emotion” as volunteers coordinate their efforts with police.

Search to Resume for California Woman