Michael Jackson Dangles Child from Hotel Window in Berlin

BERLIN (AP) _ Michael Jackson rewarded fans outside his Berlin hotel with a brief appearance and a glimpse of his youngest child _ dangling the toddler over a fourth-floor balcony.

The boy, his legs kicking, had what appeared to be a white cloth over his head as Jackson, briefly holding the child with one arm, displayed him Tuesday to dozens of fans waiting below the window of the luxurious Adlon Hotel.

The child, in a baby blue jumper, was the reclusive singer’s third and youngest, Prince Michael II, said Antje Sigesmund, a spokeswoman for the Bambi entertainment award ceremony, which Jackson is attending in Berlin.

About 200 fans gathered outside the hotel, just opposite Berlin’s landmark Brandenburg Gate, and security had to remove some from the lobby. Several carried banners, including one that said “Save the Kids,” with drawings of children’s faces. Another said “Really good to see you.”

Jackson, wearing a bright red shirt, smiled and waved to the fans, at one point tossing a small white towel to the crowd below. The singer then went inside and retrieved the toddler, using one arm to hold the boy out over the iron rail of the hotel.

Fans cheered as the pop star appeared with the child, but Jackson quickly retreated into his hotel room without making any statement.

Little is known about Prince Michael II. People Magazine reported in August that he was 6 months old. The magazine, citing an anonymous friend, said the boy was not adopted and did not identify the mother.

In Berlin, Jackson was taking a break from a California courtroom where he testified last week in a US$21 million lawsuit claiming he backed out of concerts. He arrived in Berlin to pick up a Bambi for life achievement Thursday.

He is to attend a benefit for homeless children and a charity auction where he will put a jacket and hat on the block Wednesday.