Spring Break NorCal Campus Tour

For the price of a movie ticket, popcorn and a drink, students can visit four university campuses in a three-day excursion.

An annual spring break event, the tour of some of the top UC campuses also includes hanging out in San Francisco and staying a night in Berkeley, all for a fee of $25.

GCC also offers tours in Southern California during the spring semester.

Transfer counselor, Kevin Meza, plans a three-day campus tour during spring break. This year, from April 15 to 17, students will visit the University of California in Berkeley, Davis, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz.

“I want to make sure that I go to all the campuses I applied to. I don’t want to choose a campus before going there and later realize this campus isn’t for me,” said 20-year-old political science major Stephanie Rojas. “I’m excited to see what the campuses have to offer.”

While touring the different campuses students will be able to meet with university staff, ask questions and partake in multiple tours including housing. This gives the students time to feel out the different campuses and find their best match.

“It solidifies the college choice for some students.” Meza said. “It motivates others to seek these colleges and for some students they may not ever transfer there, but they’ll have a similar college experience at a community college.”

Former GCC student Sona Ter-Yegishyan was able to decide where she wanted to attend university after attending this trip last spring.

“The Northern California campus tour helped me realize that it’s important to visit the schools you think you want to go to in person, because no amount of pamphlets or websites can help you know if it’s the right fit for you until you actually step on the campus,” Yegishyan said.

The trip helped narrow her options to Santa Cruz and Berkeley. She opted for Berkeley.

The deadline for the Northern California College Tour has passed, but it’s not too late to attend individual campus tours starting in May. Meza has arranged visits to as many universities as possible in Southern California. The top of the list includes University of California in Irvine and San Diego and also University of San Diego.

Spots are filled on first come-first serve basis with a $10 refundable deposit. Each tour will include a tour, brief administration presentation and time to explore the campus.

“Most students don’t make the extra push to visit the campuses,” Meza said. “They don’t make it a priority, but when the opportunity presents itself the students take advantage of it.”

No dates have been determined yet. For more information call (818) 240-1000, ext. 5443, or visit the Transfer Center located on the second floor of the San Rafael building.

Kelsey Anderson
Kelsey Anderson, Staff Writer
This is Kelsey Anderson's first semester on the El Vaquero staff. She will be transferring in the fall to San Francisco State University as a journalism major; emphasizing in print and minoring in graphic design. She has written various articles for an Orange County based website called CareerConnections.me In her spare time she enjoys running and long walks with her dog.
Spring Break NorCal Campus Tour