Board of Trustees Loses King, Plans Elections

In response to public concerns that Glendale Community College was declaring a state of fiscal emergency Armine Hacopian said, “I want to publicly state that we [the college] are not stating a fiscal emergency,” at the board of trustees meeting on March 16.

The board member attributed this to the hard work of faculty and staff, especially to Larry Serot, former executive vice president of administrative services; Ron Nakasone, interim executive vice president of administrative services; and Audre Levy, Glendale College president.

Hacopian also credited the California Schools Employees Association, the state senate and the budget development process.
“We’ve done a good job in preventing something like this,” said Hacopian.

Anthony Tartaglia agreed with Hacopian and said that the college is not declaring a state of fiscal emergency.

“The state continues to falter on its ability to budget properly,” said Tartaglia “And I’m seeing another $8 billion being discussed as a shortfall in a budget that was supposed to be fixed in this last endeavor and we haven’t even voted on the propositions that will be on our May ballot.

“The community college system has fared well and, I’m hoping, will continue to fair well. I want to let everyone know out there that this is a stellar campus. Everybody works together – administration, faculty and the like, to make sure we put the best product forward for the students and we will continue to do that,” said Tartaglia.

Budget cuts and canceled classes have caused concerns among part-time faculty and students this semester.

“It’s not the full-timers losing their jobs. It’s part-timers losing their jobs,” said Gordon Alexandre, faculty guild president.

Board members attended an annual business luncheon, held by the Glendale Latino Association on Feb. 26 which honored Anita Quinonez-Gabrielian, board of trustees clerk, as she was named woman of the year.

The award goes to outstanding Latino leaders for their contributions to the community and for their leadership in promoting the goals of the organization.

Tartaglia announced that Hacopian would be honored by the Armenian American Chamber of Commerce as business woman of the year.

Victor King, president of the board of trustees, will be handing over the gavel during next meeting as he will no longer be board president and will be leaving the board. King said it’s been an honor to serve here for the past twelve years.

“40 years ago, I moved to Glendale, this month, as a resident and I just left Glendale this month and, of course, I’m leaving the board of trustees as well,” he said.

King said he had lunch with his former Glendale High School student body president Chris Walters on March 13 and they talked about Deb Rinder, who was their classmate and is now the principal of Glendale High School.

King said that Walters is currently running for Glendale School Board.

“And that recognition was just knowing that it’s a point of immense pride to know that the city of Glendale, as part of it’s generational change and passing on the baton, entrusted certain things to me and Deb [Rinder] and perhaps to Chris Walters,” said King.

“For these institutions to continue to grow it’s important for one generation to hand off (the baton of leadership) to the next generation,” said King.

Ovsanna Khachikian, student trustee, was absent due to a rally in Sacramento, but sent her regards through Levy. Khachikian was in Sacramento with 10 other associated students officers for an event.

Khachikian wrote: “We are participating in a rally for education organized by the California Community College Student Senate in an effort to ask state legislators for their continued support to community colleges.”

Khachikian attended a rally in Pasadena for the support of state legislators on Feb. 27 along with other officers and representatives from 16 other colleges.

The next board of trustees meeting will be held April 20 at Kreider Hall in the San Rafael Building at 5 p.m.

Corinna Scott
Corinna Scott, Staff Illustrator
Corinna Scott is a self-proclaimed artist, writer, and journalist. She has studied journalism since 2000. Starting at East Los Angeles College and ending up at the award winning Glendale Community College’s El Vaquero. She has won an award for her newswriting, taken top place in a news poll for her Board of Trustees stories, and won an honorable mention for her cartoon. Corinna has studied animation arts while attending GCC from 1998 to 1999 whereupon she changed her mind on her major and entered the exciting world of  Journalism complete with competing in state-wide competitions.