Glendale Student Aspires for Rap Career

He discovered his talent after he recorded his first song at 14 and now he’s a 23-year-old local rapper making music he’s proud of.

When he’s performing he’s known by his stage name, Alex Trebor, but at home, he’s just ‘Rob’ Berberian. “My middle name is Alex and ‘Trebor’ is just Robert backwards,” Berberian said. He goes by his stage name to promote his career as a rapper.

Berberian does much more than just produce music. He also tutors students, is the vice president at 9120 Media and is a business administration and marketing major at GCC.

The rapper’s latest music video is coming out in June, called “Home Sweet Home,” along with many other songs and videos he has recorded, all surfacing in a couple weeks.

Berberian dreams big, taking his career by the horns and diving into the business side of the entertainment field as well as pursuing his dream of being an artist.

“I think of dreams as being deep-rooted ‘desires’ that are fueled by some type of personal pain,” Berberian said.

“I want to be a successful entrepreneur in general. Even if that means being a well-established rapper, owning my own independent record label and signing other artists.”

Berberian is the vice president, songwriter and artist at 9120 Media alongside Araik Mouradian, known as MG, who is the CEO, producer and engineer.

“What I always look for when working with an artist is someone who’s so hungry and determined to be successful that they won’t stop until they reach it; and he’s got it,” said MG.

Berberian is known locally, but he believes it’s just the beginning.

“I’m never satisfied, and with that being said, there should always be room to grow and expand your brand and business as an artist,” Berberian said.

Berberian matured into a performer and driven businessman, by throwing himself headfirst into the industry, but some opportunitties were missed.

Berberian’s good friend Arin Khodaverdi got him onto a show called “The X Factor” three months ago. Berberian said he had every intention of dominating on camera, but he had to drop out because of an illness within the family.

“I like to play a part in any opportunity offered to me that is beneficial not only to myself, but my loved ones,” said the aspiring rapper.

Berberian had other reasons for turning down his acceptance to be on the show. “The X Factor” contract demanded all of his time, and Berberian didn’t have any time to give. “I can’t take a month off to film at their pace when my family has no money coming in. I can’t stop that and concentrate on ‘The X Factor’.”

Berberian has learned from his role models, Ryan Leslie and Jay-Z, that performing and entertaining isn’t the key to success in the entertainment industry.

“The music industry is 90 percent business and 10 percent talent,” said Berberian. “The business side makes you a rational thinker and keeps you more stable. The creative side is what makes you feel vulnerable enough to pay attention to your emotions yet free enough to wild out and let life do its thing.”

Berberian dropped out of GCC for two years to work and support his family, but luckily found his way back to fulfilling his college education.

When asked why he is pursuing a competitive career in music when he has so much weight on his shoulders, Berberian said that there is nothing wrong with being an underdog.

“I make music to motivate, inspire and be a voice for the misunderstood,” said Berberian. “I want people to know that even though there are downfalls—you can always get back on your grind.”

Berberian works hard for his dream, career and education, but this hardly leaves room for friends and social connections.

“I’m always struggling to find balance and better ways to manage my time, but that’s the beauty of it all,” said Berberian.

Thanks to Nick Lalaian, one of Berberian’s closest friends, Berberian has a loyal helping hand. Lalaian helps him handle the music’s engineering.

“One thing’s for sure, it takes more than patience and persistence to work with Alex,” Lalaian said. “The smaller

details that most artists usually overlook are not taken lightly when we’re in the studio.”

Berberian has put his time, heart and mind into becoming a success with his music, while also helping other aspired artists reach the same dream he’s been working on since junior high school.

He is inspired by missed opportunities. “Any inspiration that’s drawn from the feeling of ‘losing things’ gives more of a motive to ‘prove yourself’ afterwards,” said Berberian.

Glendale Student Aspires for Rap Career