Art Gallery Highlights Spatial Relationships

“Proximetric,” a collection of work by Ginger Wolfe-Suarez that explores spatial relationships and incorporates the sense of smell, premiered at the art gallery on Sept. 17.

Wolfe-Suarez described her pieces as “minimal, sparse, thoughtful and poetic.” The conceptual artist said that becoming a mom four years ago and moving to Richmond, Calif., prompted her to simplify her art style.

The artist’s work has been shown at many different galleries and institutions. She called Glendale College the best place that has hosted her work. She teaches studio critique and art theory and is currently visiting faculty in the graduate program at San Francisco Art Institute.

One of her pieces is a section of wood which connects from a cement block on the floor to a blue piece of cardboard on the wall.

Another piece is a thin wooden frame that has one side covered in glitter. It looms up and has very hard, rigid angles. Wolfe-Suarez said that her work is made from readily accessible materials. She does this by mixing rocks, glitter and wood together but also making it intricate by including the sense of smell.

One step inside the gallery and one can smell mint oil and lavender marsh. There is a pile of dried mint leaves in front of two light-infused boxes, one showing the ocean’s horizon upright and the other showing it upside-down.

Her writings on art criticism have been published internationally and her artwork has been recently exhibited at Silverman Gallery, Los Angeles, among others. She studied at Goldsmiths College in London and later received her bachelor’s in fine arts in 2002 from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and her master’s in fine arts in 2009 from UC Berkeley.

“Proximetric” runs from through Nov. 12 and is free to the public.

Isiah Reyes
Isiah Reyes, staff reporter
I've been a staff member of El Vaquero since 2008, shifting between writer and photographer. Overall, I’m very laid back and I get the job done.