Campus Calendar

ON CAMPUS

SPECIAL PROGRAMS

WebCT – The student help desk is available to answer students’ questions. It can be reached Monday through Thursday from 7 to 9 a.m., Fridays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Saturdays from 1 to 2 p.m. and Sundays from 5 to 7 p.m. To contact the help desk, call ext. 3457.

Tutoring – GEAR UP tutor coordinator Tony Quach is recruiting for an off campus mentor/tutoring program. Students can make $7.50 per hour by tutoring Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3:15 to 5:15 p.m. For more information, call ext. 5580.

Study Abroad – GCC will be traveling to the following places in 2003: Thailand, Paris, Bali, England, Scotland, Austria, Ireland, and Baja California, Mexico. Applications are available in AA1B. Call ext. 5718 for more information.

TRANSFER

Fair – Representatives from colleges and universities will be available Thursday to answer student questions at the annual Transfer Fair. The event will be held in the San Rafael Plaza, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Applications – Applications for the fall 2003 semester now are available.for students at the transfer center located on the second floor of the San Rafael building. Application workshops are also available for students needing help in applying to the University of Southern California, California State University and the University of California. For more information, call ext. 5928.

WORKSHOPS

Career Planning – The career center is offering students “DISCOVER,” a career planning computer program which aids in the career exploration process. The service is free and no appointment is necessary. The career center is open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fridays. For more information, call ext. 5408.

Anxiety – A workshop to help recognize, understand and control anxiety levels is offered once a month on Thursdays from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. in SF107. The workshops are scheduled for Nov. 21 and Dec. 12.

HEALTH CENTER

Testing – The Health Center, in cooperation with Northeast Valley Health Corporation is offering free and anonymous HIV testing on the following dates and times: Monday from 5 to 8 p.m., Nov. 12 from 5 to 8 p.m., Nov. 13 from 5 to 8 p.m., and Dec. 6 from 9 a.m. to noon. The service features “OraSure,” a method that does not require needles. Results are ready in a week. For more information, call ext. 5909.

THEATER

Production – The GCC Theater Arts Department is presenting “Our Town,” by Thornton Wilder, in the Auditorium Mainstage Theatre. The show will run on the following dates and times: today and Saturday at 8 p.m., and Sunday at 2 p.m. Tickets are $7 general admission, $5 for students and seniors and $3 per person for groups of 10 or more. Tickets can be purchased at the door. For more information, call ext. 5618.

CLUBS

Join – The Asian Pacific Islander Movement is looking for members. The club holds meetings Thursdays from noon to 1 p.m. in AD209. The club promotes awareness of issues facing Asian Pacific Islanders.

Scholars – The scholars program is looking for students to join their club. Requirements: two years completion of pre-selected honors classes and an elective course. Students having a GPA of 3.0 or higher will receive the “President’s Scholar” seal on transcripts. Classes are limited to 25 students and students receive priority registration. For more information, call ext. 5146.

EVENTS

Swap Meet – The swap meet will be held Nov. 17 in the upper campus lot from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Admission is free. For more information, call ext. 5805.

Fall Harvest Market – GCC Bookstore customers purchasing over $5 of merchandise can pick a balloon for special discounts on their next purchase. The event will be held on Oct. 29, 30 and 31 from 9 a.m to 4 p.m. on the patio or inside the bookstore after 4 p.m. Discounts include 10 percent or 15 percent off on a GCC T-shirt or GCC sweatshirt, 15 percent off a thanksgiving item or baby gift, or 10 percent off any Christmas item.

Yard Sale – Alpha Gamma Sigma will hold a yard sale in conjunction with the swap meet on Nov 17 from 8 to 3 p.m.

LECTURE

Psychology – Associate Professor of Psychology Jessica Gillooly will hold a lecture called “Stress, Sex and Survival” on Nov. 7 at noon in Kreider Hall.

War in Iraq – A lecture on the U.S policy concerning the war in Iraq will be held by Mark Gery on Tuesday from noon to 1 p.m in SC212.

FUND-RAISER

Scholars – The Scholars program is selling Avon products from a brochure for two weeks. A portion of the proceeds will go to the program. For more information, contact Gary Massion at ext. 5654.

PARKING

Parking Lot Closures – Lot 33 closed will be closed Thursday, Oct. 31 until 10 a.m. and Nov. 1.
Lot 31 will also be closed Oct. 31 until 10 a.m.

Shuttle – The shuttle service is being extended. The service begins at 7:30 a.m. from parking structure at 701 N. Brand Blvd.and the last shuttle leaves the college at 3:45 p.m. For more information contact college police at (818) 551-5205.

AROUND TOWN

THEATER

Comedy – The Eclectic Theatre Company, at 5312 Laurel Canyon Blvd. in North Hollywood, presents Michael Tremblay’s “Les Belles-Soeurs.” The play is open now and runs until Nov. 16. at 8 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays and 3 p.m. Sundays. Tickets are $18 on Fridays and Saturdays, and $15 on Thursdays and Sundays. For more information or to make ticket reservations, call (818) 508-3003

Play – The Curtain Raisers presents the British comedy “Goodnight, Mrs. Puffin.” The production is about a family wedding that is disrupted by an eccentric woman. The play is open now, and runs until Nov. 10 on Fridays at 8 p.m., Saturdays at 5 p.m. and Sundays at 6 p.m. Tickets are $22 for adults and $16 for students and seniors. The play is at Knightsbridge Theater LA, at 1944 Riverside Drive in Los Angeles. For more information or to purchase tickets, call (626) 440- 0821.

Drama – George Bernard Shaw’s “Heartbreak House” is playing at Theater 40, at 241 Moreno Drive in Los Angeles through Nov. 10. For more information or to buy tickets, call (310) 364-0535.

Classic Whodunit – The Knightsbridge Theatre Pasadena brings back the classic mystery “The Mousetrap” for a limited engagement. This 50 year-old play is the longest running in theater history. “The Mousetrap” runs from Nov. 9 through Dec. 8. at 5 p.m. on Saturdays and 6 p.m. on Sundays. Tickets are $22 for adults, $16 for students and seniors. The Knightsbridge Theatre is in Pasadena, at 35 S. Raymond Ave. For more information or to make ticket reservations, call (626) 440-0821.

Comedy – One of Oscar Wilde’s most celebrated comedies “The Importance of Being Earnest,” comes to the Knightsbridge Theatre in Los Angeles, Nov. 16 through Dec. 29. Performances are 5 p.m. on Saturdays and 6 p.m. on Sundays at the Knightsbridge Theatre, at 1944 Riverside Drive. Tickets are $22 for adults and $16 for students and seniors. For more information or to ticket make reservations, call (626) 440-0821.

MUSIC

Orchestra – The Los Angeles Opera presents the Kirov Opera Orchestra in “Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk.” Performances will be held at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, at 135 N. Grand Ave. in Los Angeles. Ticket prices range from $30 to $170 and are available through Ticketmaster. For more information call (213) 972-7219.

ART

Exhibit – The Getty Museum, at 1200 Getty Center Drive, presents works from world renowned Italian artist Orazio Gentileschi. The paintings are from “Paintings from the Palazzo Sauli” showing different perspectives on woman’s love of God. The exhibit is on display until Jan. 12, 2003. For more information, call (310) 440-7300 or visit www.getty.edu.

EVENTS

Halloween – The city of Montrose is celebrating Halloween on Oct. 30 at 5 p.m. on Honolulu Avenue between Verdugo Road and Ocean View Boulevard. For more information, call (818) 548-3796.

Photography – The opening reception of the photography exhibit titled “Celebrating Community” will be held Nov. 2 at 6:30 pm at the Glendale Central Library, at 222 E. Harvard St. in Glendale. For more information or to reserve, call (818) 548-3752

Campus Calendar