Men’s Tennis Clinches Playoff Spot With Easy Win

The GCC men’s tennis team made everything look easy with a 9-0 victory over L.A. Pierce College Thursday.

Deomarlee Sy was the only player to drop a set in his 3-6, 7-5, 6-2 victory over Asim Khaja.

Andy Roland, the number one player for Glendale, had an easy time against Farhad Hajimirzaee, Pierce’s top player, defeating him 6-0, 6-2.

With the victory, Roland strengthened claim on a conference player of the year title. He has had only one defeat for the year, in a match against Hajimirzaee.

“I thought I played very well,” Roland said. “I was pleased. Last time we played I fell asleep, and he took over. This time I wanted to make sure that I didn’t fall asleep.”

Scott Patterson, Glendale’s number two, defeated Farsind Hajimirzaee 6-3, 6-3. Boris Adzhamyan, number four for Glendale (ranked fifth in the state), defeated Allen Dunn 6-2, 6-3. Celso Percegona made quick work of Jerry Godfrey 6-0, 6-0, and Jack Timourian defeated Henry Mourhaleh 6-1, 6-2.

“They played great,” Coach Bob Donaghy said. “I was pretty sure we were going to beat Pierce, but when we beat them 8-1 at their place, six of the nine matches were close.”

Jack Timourian, and Scott Patterson have good chances to make second team All-League.

The doubles matches weren’t really competitive, since Glendale won the first five matches out of nine.

The doubles team of Roland and Patterson quickly dispatched the Hajimirzaee brothers 8-2. Adzhamyan and Timourian defeated Dunn and Mourhaleh 8-4, and Arseno Bautista and Sy defeated Godfrey and Khaja 8-2.

“The doubles matches weren’t really as competitive since the match was already over,” Roland said. “They were just a joke to get them over with.”

If Ventura College loses to Santa Barbara, there will be a three-way tie for first place.

This is the first time in about 40 years that L.A. Pierce College will finish with a losing record.

“The season didn’t turn out the way we planned,” Roland said. “We had a bad loss the first time to Ventura, and we ended up with two losses in conference. Nobody expected that, but we are going to the playoffs, and that is important.”