Stone, Manuel Lead the Way to Vaquero Victory

Vaquero baseball continued its hot play with a 10-6 victory over L.A. Valley College on Thursday.

Jimmy Stone went three-for-four with two singles and a homerun in the fifth inning. He also scored three runs, three stolen bases, and two RBIs.

“We played good until the last inning,” said Stone. “We kinda had a letdown, and let them back into the game.”

LAVC sent nine batters to the plate in the ninth inning, scoring four runs, and knocking starting pitcher Kevin Welch out of the game. Welch went eight and a third innings, allowing six runs, 11 hits, striking out seven.

“Kevin didn’t have his best stuff, and we’ve seen him a lot better,” first-year coach Jon Strauss said. “He really battled, and located the ball really well.”

Welch allowed only two runners past second base in the first five innings. David Lopez doubled in the first inning, and Victor Samaniego tripled in the fifth.

In the sixth inning, Welch ran into trouble after allowing a leadoff single by Lopez, followed by a hit for John Mort. Both runners scored on a one-out single by Danny Yeamen. Welch retired the next eight batters.

“I was hitting my spots pretty well in the beginning,” Welch said. “I got a little tired in the ninth inning, and I couldn’t close it out.”

Welch improved is record in WSC play to 2-0.

Glendale (14-3, 5-2 in WSC) got on the board early, and never looked back.

Sophomore John Manuel led off the game with a triple. Stone knocked him in on a single. Manuel went three-for-five with a triple, single, and a homerun, and scored three runs.

In the fifth inning, Glendale added two more runs. Evan Shahak knocked in Manuel, and Stone scored on a fielder’s choice by Jon Horwitz.

“Those guys [Stone and Manuel] are obviously very key to our offense,” Strauss said. “They set the table for us, they got on, and they drove themselves in.”

Glendale added two more runs in the seventh inning on a two-run homerun by Shahak, and three in the 8th on a RBI single by catcher Ryan Noll, followed up by a two-run homerun by Manuel.

Glendale had lost two out of its last three games, following a 12-game winning streak.

“We were lax today,” said Manuel. “It’s a good win, but we should have came out a played with a little more intensity, and we need to get that killer instinct back.”