Film Club Seeks to Keep Kids Warm this Winter

In collaboration with the Salvation Army Glendale Corps, the Film Collective club is hosting its first jacket drive. Students and faculty can donate clothing items between Sept. 29 and Oct. 3 in Plaza Vaquero.

Julio Espino, a student and the president of the club, spearheaded this event after realizing how many families are in need of basic essentials, such as warm clothes.

Although there are a number of programs and organizations dedicated to helping families struggling financially, Espino knows that more can be done.

“[These organizations] can’t provide for everyone,” he said. “These families are going around in winter with jackets that are way too small.”

Espino hopes to change that for as many families as he can. With the club’s help, Rachael Ryen, the volunteer and events coordinator for the Salvation Army Glendale Corps, hopes to collect at least 30 coats, which will cover the number of children in their social services program.

The club will also accept beanies, scarves, and gloves, in addition to pants, shoes and shirts. Because the donations will go to families in need, all sizes ranging from children’s to adult’s are accepted.

“The jackets will be sorted by size and the kids will be able to go in and try on the ones they like, then choose which to take home,” said Ryen.

If there are any jackets left over after the kids have taken a run at them, housing program manager Shavona Parker will make sure they get to various shelters around town that have connections to the Salvation Army.

“No coats will go undistributed,” said Ryen.

A military veteran, Espino felt the Salvation Army was a great organization to help gather donations for, as it regularly hosts jacket and canned food drives for families in need. It also collects toys during the holiday season; however, this year it has lost its partnership with Toys for Tots. As a result, the children in their program may not receive holiday gifts unless they receive donations.

“We desperately need to raise toys for 300 families in Glendale through our Angel Tree program,” said Ryen.

The Film Collective hopes to make the jacket drive an annual event to help more and more families every year. In addition to Plaza Vaquero, donation boxes will be placed in designated areas around campus, including the Financial Aid office. Donations can also be dropped off directly at the Salvation Army’s office, located at 320 W. Windsor Road.

Aimee Yeghiayan Beck
Aimee Yeghiayan Beck, Staff Writer
Aimee Yeghiayan Beck began writing for Crescenta Valley Weekly five years ago. She has covered a wide variety of topics, ranging from community events to state soccer matches. Planning to major in Public Relations and minor in Women’s and Gender Studies, her career aspirations include working as a publicist for a women’s empowerment organization. Married to a U.S. airman, she feels very strongly about the military and is familiar with its struggles. During her free time, Aimee volunteers for local organizations, including Crescenta Valley High School’s Prom Plus After Party and Falkon Robotics (Team 589).