Sports Summary

TRACK & FIELD

Three women and two men qualified for the Southern California finals Friday May 12 at Mt. SAC by virtue of their performances Saturday at the So. Cal prelims and at the Western State Conference finals April 29. Ray Vasquez and Ivan Perez previously qualified in the 5000 meters at the conference meet as did Maribel Cespedes for the women. Vasquez also qualified in the 1500 meters with a second place finish in his heat in 4:03.3. Lilly Hernandez also qualified with a sdecond place finish in her heat of the 3000-meter steeplechase in 11:58.3 and Anna Rodriguez also qualified with a fifth place finish in the 3000-meter steeplechase in 12:26.

The state meet is May 19-20 in Bakersfield.

BASEBALL

Glendale ended the season with a pair of losses to Pierce to finish 9-33 overall and 4-21 in the WSC South. The Vaqueros lost to the Brahmas 6-5 on Tuesday and 11-10 Thursday.

MEN’S TENNIS

Glendale sophomlore Sergy Vagramian qualified in singles and doubles for the state tournament May 11-13 at the Claremont Club in Claremont. Vagramian advanced to the semifinals in singles and doubles with partner Lew DeLeon. Players who advanced to at least the quarterfinals qualified for the state tournament.

In team competition, Glendale, seeded No. 4 in the Southern California Regionals, lost to No. 1 seeded College of the Desert 5-1 on Tuesday in the regional semifinals to end the season at 10-8. Hakop Tadevosian had the only win for the Vaqueros when his opponent, Stefan Federsen, retired at No. 3 singles.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

Debbie Martin and Anna Alicia Araujo represented the Vaqueros at the Southern California Regionals in singles and doubles May 4-6 in San Diego. Martin advanced to the second round in singles before losing and the doubles team of Martin and Araujo fell in the first round to end their season.

SPORTS EVENTS

Track – State Championship in Bakersfield, today and Saturday.

Sports Summary