Bi-Weekly Vaquero Sports

FOOTBALL

Glendale won its first Western State Conference Southern Division title since 1990 after beating East Los Angeles 24-12 Saturday for the Vaqueros seventh straight win. The victory improves the Vaqueros overall record to 8-2 and they tied for first place with Citrus in the Western State Conference Southern Division at 6-1. Glendale won the division title by virtue of beating Citrus this season and will represent the WSC this Saturday in the Southern California Bowl against host Grossmont College. The Griffins are 9-1 and won their third consecutive Foothill Conference title this year and are ranked No. 3 in Southern California. The Vaqueros are ranked No. 6 in the same poll.

As he has all season, the team was led by quarterback Steve Martinez who passed for 206 yards and one touchdown on 12 of 19. Running back Jamal Rashad returned to action Saturday and rushed for 129 yards and two touchdowns on 31 carries and receiver Johnny Serfozo caught four passes for 88 yards and one touchdown. Defensively, linebacker Alonzo Meinfield had eight tackles and sophomore defensive linemen Jason Bonwell and Frank Yee had seven tackles each and put constant pressure on the ELAC offense

WOMEN’S SOCCER

The Vaqueros ended their regular season on a winning note with a pair of victories last week, 4-0 over Citrus on Nov. 8 and a 1-0 win at Valley College last Friday to improve their overall record to 14-7-1 and 8-4-1 in WSC. In the win over Citrus, Jennifer Barrientos scored two goals and Janet De Lao and Roxy Garcia scored one each. De Lao finished her remarkable season as the leading scorer of the WSC with 24 goals. The Vaqueros finished their sesaon in third place in the WSC.

MEN’S SOCCER

The Vaqueros season ended on 4-0 loss to College of the Canyons last Friday. The Vaqueros also suffered a pair of losses last week, 3-0 to Hancock Nov .8 and 3-0 to Moorpark last Friday. They finished 4-5-4 in WSC and 5-11-5 overall.

WOMEN’S VOLLEYBALL

The Vaqueros dropped a pair of matches last week to fall to 0-16 overall and 0-9 in WSC. Glendale lost to Santa Monica on Nov. 8 in three games 30-20, 30-12 and 30-11 and fell to Canyons 30-15, 30-18 and 30-22 last Friday. In the loss to Canyons, Lourdes Loyola led Glendale with five kills and Dani Regan added 11 assists. Ashlei Limbaga had seven digs.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Glendale opened up the 2005-06 season with two losses last week. The Vaqueros fell to Chaffey College 95-91 Nov. 9 and then fell to Grossmont College 77-73 in the opening round game of the Glendale College Tip off Tournament last Friday. Glendale rebounded from the losses and beat Victor Valley College 73-68 last Saturday in the tournament’s game for third place.
The Vaqueros host San Diego Mesa at 6:30 p.m. Sunday.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The Vaqueros opened their 2005-06 season with a 73-47 loss at Hancock last Saturday. Vanessa Escobar led Glendale with 11 points and Nicole Brown added nine rebounds.

Glendale hosts the eight team Vaquero shootout which began Thursday and will last through Sunday.

Alex Leon, sports information director, may be reached at ext. 5764.

Bi-Weekly Vaquero Sports