Vaqueros Roll Over L.A. Pierce, Improve Record

The Vaqueros defeated the L.A. Pierce Brahmas 28-3 at Sartoris Field on Saturday night, improving their record to 6-0 for the first time since 1988.

The Vaquero defense overwhelmed the Brahma offense allowing no touchdowns, holding the offense to just one field goal on the night.

The Vaquero defense collected four interceptions to keep the Brahmas out of the end zone. The first interception came on the first play from scrimmage for L.A. Pierce by linebacker Josh Nesbitt. The next big play on defense was when safety Matt Patterson intercepted the Brahmas’ pass deep in the red zone and returned it for an 88-yard touchdown to put the Vaqueros up 7-0.

“We played well,” said Patterson, who led the defense in scoring against L.A. Pierce. “From the [defensive line] to the [defensive backs], we did a pretty good job.”

The next big defensive play came when defensive back Michael Esquivel intercepted the Brahmas’ pass in the end zone and returned it to mid-field, which the Vaquero offense capitalized with a touchdown. The final interception came in the last minutes of play when Elliot Smith picked off the Brahmas quarterback to seal the deal for the Vaqueros.

The Vaquero offense totaled 314 yards, with three rushing touchdowns, the first coming on a big fourth down play on the goal line by running back Anthony Cullors.

Leading the offensive attack was Brandon Torres who had not played all season due to a broke hand bone. Torres had 15 rushes for 126 yards and two scores; a three-yard touchdown and a 39-yard touchdown. Torres became the first player this season to rush for 100 yards in a game.

“All the hard work in practice paid off,” said Torres, “All the [offensive line] did a great job on their blocks.”

“We had a great team effort,” said coach John Cicuto, “Defense, offense, kicking; great effort.”

The Vaqueros hope to extend their winning streak this Saturday when they travel to Citrus College in what will likely determine the conference championship.