El Vaquero News Briefs

• GCC presented a check for a total of $7,285 on Wednesday to the American Red Cross to aid relief efforts for the Sept. 11 attack on America. Alen Andriassian, adviser to ASGCC, opened the presentation ceremony in front of the bookstore with a speech commending all the organizations that helped raise the money. The bookstore raised $1,485, with $600 of that coming from the bookstore bake sale; admissions raised $3,500; the Classified Council raised $300; and the Child Development Center raised $2,000. Admissions made and sold patriotic pins to raise money, while the Classified Council sold T-shirts. The shirts are still on sale, and the Classified Council expects to raise another $1,000 in revenues.”I think it’s absolutely wonderful,” said Barbara Bourland of the American Red Cross, who accepted the check. “It is wonderful that there is so much unity, not only here but across the nation.”

• A 40-foot mural created by GCC students in response to the Sept. 11 attacks is now on display in the library’s periodicals area. Everyone is invited to view students’ thoughts and emotions conveyed in the mural, but the library staff asks that students practice quiet decorum.

• Alpha Gamma Sigma hosted a used books sale next to the San Gabriel building. To date, the club has raised $500, according to Vice President Ani Sarkissian. Proceeds will go to scholarships for active members. Today is the last day of the sale.

• A Student Retention Pilot is now in the works to find out why students drop out of class and to see if they can be referred to programs that may be of help to them. Susan Borquez-Dougherty, Coordinator of Retention Services, said that students often simply stop attending classes instead of dropping. She said that the pilot’s goal is to serve as an intervention to see that students return the following semester.

• Beth Pfluegger and Dr. Peter Green of the GCC Music Department gave a recital Thursday at 1 p.m. in the Glendale College Auditorium. Pluegger and Green played works by Cortese and Muczynski, in addition to Green’s two piano solos.

• Activate Search
    El Vaquero News Briefs