Vaquero Defense Holds Marauders Scoreless

The Vaqueros football team continued to dominate as they annihilated the Antelope Valley Marauders 44–0 at Sartoris Field last Saturday. The Vaqs are now 5–1 and are tied with Santa Barbara for first place in the American Pacific division.

Quarterback Andre Nunez completed 16 of 23 passes for 227 yards and two TDs and running back Robert Jones rushed for 110 yards with two TDs as well.

The Vaqs scored early with a 10-yard pass to Austyn Walker at 7:52 in the first quarter after an interception by Jaelen Rising-Barnwell put the Vaqueros in scoring position. Oscar Reynoso put up the extra points and with three minutes left in the quarter, linebacker Chris Riley picked off a pass by Marauders quarterback David Erickson and scored from 11 yards out. The Vaqs led 14 – 0 after one.

Early in the second quarter Nunez took one in from the 21-yard line to put another seven points on the board. Just a few minutes later, Nunez completed a long pass to wide receiver Isaiah Bernard for 49 yards and a TD. Reynoso missed the extra point kick and Glendale was up by 27.

The Vaqs’ defense was strong with six interceptions and three sacks. Shipman’s first interception of the game put him at 12 picks for the season, a new team record. The previous record was set in 1983.

With 3:38 to go in the half Jones took the ball across the goal line from the 18 yard line. Reynoso’s kick was good and the Vaqs headed to the locker room up by 34 points.

A 1-yard run by Jones in the third quarter and a 25-yard field goal by Reynoso in the fourth left Glendale with a total of 44 unanswered points.

The Vaqueros squad will take its show on the road to Los Angeles Southwest College to face the Cougars on Saturday.

Sal Polcino
Sal Polcino, Production Manager
Sal Polcino is a professional jazz guitarist and published songwriter. Since coming to Glendale College he has been published in the Glendale News-Press and the Insider magazine as well as El Vaquero. Polcino has been a copywriter for his small business for the last six years writing biographies, press releases and blogs for Jazz Punks LLC. He would like to combine his knowledge of jazz and writing to produce reviews and possibly a book in the near future.