Men’s Soccer Struggles in Preseason

The Vaqueros’ mens soccer team is working hard to change their performance after a weak preseason.

Their preseason began with a 2-2 tie against Irvine Valley College; however,  the next two games resulted in losses, with a final score of 2-1 against Cypress College and 4-0  against Los Angeles Harbor College.

“We need to connect better,” said team captain Akram Abdulrahman. “We are still finding our chemistry.”

The men played the Fullerton College Hornets with a tie in a scoreless game Sept. 5.

Despite a score of 0-0, onlookers were on the edge of their seats with anticipation through injuries and continuous goal attempts.

Fullerton College started the game off strong and kept the ball near Glendale’s goalkeeper on their side of the field. With many failed attempts by Fullerton, GCC coaches were able to encourage their team on the field and reversed the negative energy of his players.

After a few substitutions, the Vaqs came out stronger.  As the clock ticked away on the first half of the game, Fullerton College’s forward Enio Dominguez was hit by a cleat to the right side of the face. He was escorted off the field by the team’s athletic trainers.

“It was a 50-50 ball,” said Fullerton’s Head Coach Alex Perez. “Dominguez went for a header and the [Vaquero] player swung his leg to kick.”

The game continued with many saves from the Vaqueros, which caused rivalry on the field. A Hornet and Vaquero midfielder Dennis Valladares had to be broken up by fellow teammates as the passion of the game took over.

“It was the heat of the moment,” said Valladares. “I am not trying to play dirty or get a red card, but it is the intensity of the game.”

As the Hornets switched goalkeepers in the second half, Dominguez was seen being treated for his injuries.

Forward Satsuki Ito, a foreign exchange student from Japan held his ground during the entire game by avoiding two penalty kicks.

“He will not go down,” said Vaqueros Head Coach Laura Matsumoto about Ito.

Coach Matsumoto substituted and encouraged players on and off the field as the clock paused at three minutes and 28 seconds.

“Let’s see if we can get the goal and get out,” she said

After ending in a draw, Glendale’s men soccer team still has one more game before the season commences.

“We battled,” said Matsumoto. “I am proud of them.”

The Vaqueros are looking forward to the start of their season at Citrus College on Sept. 16.

“We need to play together, pass the ball as much as we can, play coherently and take chances,” Abdulrahman said.

Kendall Faulkner
Kendall Faulkner, Staff Writer
Hi, my name is Kendall Faulkner. I am currently a sophomore. I am majoring in journalism, specially broadcast journalism with an emphasis on sports. I am bilingual, I speak French and English. I went to a French school in Los Angeles for six years. I really like to challenge myself. I find joy in being able to do things that myself or others thought I could not do. I believe in following my dreams and that everything happens for a reason. I love doing new things, it is a huge part of who I am. I thrive to do my best and to make my family proud of the person they have influenced me to become.
Men’s Soccer Struggles in Preseason