Vaqs Baseball Slashed by L.A. Mission Owls

The power at Stengel Field was out on Thursday and more than just the scoreboard. Glendale had a three-game winning streak snapped by their southern division foe, the L.A Mission Eagles.

The game was crucial in the division standings. The Vaqueros (8-8 overall, 3-2 in conference) had the bases loaded in the bottom of the second as well as the bottom of the eighth and failed to capitalize on both occasions.

“We didn’t have our best game,” said Head Coach Chris Cicuto. “We had chances, and just failed to execute.”

He said that the team is still young team and they are still trying to figure things out.

LA Mission’s squad won its sixth in a row and fell into a third place tie with Bakersfield. Mission (10-7, 4-0) stays a half game behind conference frontrunner, College of the Canyons (5-0).

The game was close throughout. The Vaqueros, took an early 2-0 lead with a double from catcher Mark Strazzerri that would bring in Dylan Trimarchi and Jay Sheeley.

As the game went on, the Eagles found their way, and would take the lead in the top of the fourth inning as three runs were brought in by Eagle infielder, Conner O’Brien.

The Vaqs would tie the game after trailing 5-4 coming into the bottom of the sixth inning. Outfielder Dylan Trimarchi hit the ball into center field that brought Carlos Robles in for the score.

In the bottom of the eighth inning, GCC would have a big opportunity to blow the game wide open with the bases loaded and just one out after Trimarchi walked intentionally. Outfielder Jay Sheeley, lined the ball to center field. However, the ball was caught for the second out; the runner at third forgot to touch the bag which could have landed him at home plate. Eagles’ pitcher Steven Perez got L.A. Mission out of the jam with a huge third out, that left the game tied going into the top of the ninth.

The game went into extra innings and in the top of the 10th inning, Eagle outfielder Joe Goring’s two-out single sealed the deal for the Eagles.

“They played better than us,” said Strazzerri, who finished the game with three RBIs as well as two doubles. “They capitalized on our mistakes.”

Though Glendale suffered their eighth loss of the season, Trimarchi pointed out some of the good things the Vaqs accomplished during the game.

“We set the tone early,” he said. “The intensity was there. Now we just have to focus on the little things because baseball isn’t just one play… it’s nine innings.”

Trimarchi said that this team is starting to find their identity and that they are really starting to come together as a unit.

“We don’t worry about winning streaks,” said Sheeley. “We are going to continue to work hard.”

R.J. Saunders
R.J. Saunders, Staff Writer
R.J. Saunders is a Communications Major at Glendale Community College. He is a graduate of Arcadia High School. R.J became interested in writing when he saw Columnist Scoop Jackson’s article Published in an issue of the NBA’s Inside Stuff Magazine. In addition to writing, R.J loves to make jokes and is an enthusiastic NBA fan. R.J plans to go to Cal Poly Pomona where he will continue his journey as a columnist/sports writer. R.J dreams to one day write for ESPN or NBA.Com.