Lady Vaqueros Soccer Dominates Preseason

Women’s soccer cruised to a 3-0 record in the preseason last Friday with a win against Hancock College.

GCC opened with a perfectly placed goal in the back corner of the net by Karen Lopez at the 14th minute.

“We caught them off guard,” Head Coach Jorge Mena said.

GCC headed to the locker room at the break with a comfortable 1-0 lead over the Bulldogs.

GCC came out strong and capped two more goals in the second half.  Midfielder Jasmine De La Caridad Rocha went down with a knee injury in the opening minute and athletic trainer Claudia Alvarez rushed to midfield to assess the situation. De La Caridad Rocha was able to walk off the field on her own.

Elizabeth Mendoza scored on a pass from Daisy Mendez to put the Lady Vaqs up 2-0.

Cece Martinez collided with the Bulldogs goalkeeper at the 34th minute which led to a Vaquero goal. GCC goalkeeper Andrea Guerra made a key save in the 44th minute which kept the lead untouched.

The Lady Vaqueros put a muzzle on the bulldogs and secured a 3-0 shutout.

Coach Mena urged they still have a long road.  “You never know how good youare  until you play good teams,” he said. “We still have a long way to go.”

The Lady Vaqs look to keep the streak alive at home when they face Mira Costa on Thursday.

Jonathan Williams
Jonathan Williams, Sports editor
My name is Jonathan Williams, I’m 22, I love sports, entertainment and technology. This is my first semester in the newsroom and I am ecstatic to be part of the team. Put me in coach! I love to cook, I was once an aspiring chef and I love to write. I’m also a huge movie buff.