Track and Field Takes First and Second at Moorpark

The Vaqueros dominated competitors at Friday’s meet at Moorpark College. The team showed a glimpse of what may be an indicator for the rest of the season.

The Lady Vaqs showed up to compete, earning 146 points and finishing second to the 166 points posted by West Los Angeles College.

Grace Graham-Zamudio finished first in 1500-meter race with a time of 4:44.24. Gonzales finished third closely behind with a time of 4:53.02.

“I think we all ran really well,” Graham- Zumudio said. “As a team I think we scored a lot of points for this first event.”

The Lady Vaqs swept the 800-meter race finishing top three. Lilia Asserian ran a 2:19.39, followed by Lizette Gonzalez, who finished with a time of 2:20.63 and Graham-Zamudio finished closely behind with a 2:21.64

In the women’s 3000-meter race, Graham-Zamudio left her competition in the dust, finishing in 10:24.15. Charlene Quintanilla finished third in 10:46.46

In the men’s competition, GCC finished first with 186 points.

In the men’s 800-meter race Mario Castillo finished second in 1:59.58 and Eduardo Vasquez finished third with 1:59.70. Alejandro Chavez finished fifth in 2:00.01.

“Not our best work, but not so bad either,” Mario Castillo said. “It was just one of those races where it doesn’t really go your way, but you need to push through it.”

In the men’s 1500 meter, Issac Diosdado finished third in 4:04.44, Kurt Lutz finished fourth with the time 4:06.84 and Mario Castillo in sixth with 4:10.53.

“This is a good practice dual meet for us, especially for the freshman, definitely for the season that’s coming. This is also a good tune up for the Ben Brown Invitation, which is really our focus for the next coming two weeks,” Diosdado said.

Diosdado finished first in the men’s 3000-meter with 8:56.13. Lutz finished second with 9:03.50. Enrique Ramirez finished fourth with 9:08.75 and Jorge Serrano in fifth with 9:10.72.

In the men’s 100-meter dash Jourdan Honore finished first with 11.40 seconds and Nathan Weston finished fourth with 11.67.

James Jones finished first in the men’s 400-meter hurdles with a time 59.67.

For the men’s hammer, Nicholas La Croix took first and set a new personal record with a 51.89-meter throw.

Quaid Vuncannon took first in the men’s discus with a 42.88-meter throw. Joseph Thompson placed third with 37.68 meters.

Ana Tonga placed first in the javelin with 30.69-meters. Jason Ahn took first in men’s javelin with a throw of 54.06-meters.

“It’s going to be close,” said head coach Eddie Lopez about the remaining season. “It’s going to come down to who’s injured.”

The track and field teams will participate in the Ben Brown Invitational at Fullerton College, Saturday at 10 a.m.

On March 15 at 6 p.m., both teams will compete at Occidental College in the Oxy Distance Carnival.

Kelsey Anderson
Kelsey Anderson, Staff Writer
This is Kelsey Anderson's first semester on the El Vaquero staff. She will be transferring in the fall to San Francisco State University as a journalism major; emphasizing in print and minoring in graphic design. She has written various articles for an Orange County based website called CareerConnections.me In her spare time she enjoys running and long walks with her dog.