Vaqs Run, Power Past Tartars

The Vaqueros defeated the Compton College Tartars 4-3 on April 20 in a non-conference game at Stengal Field.

This game, a “love one” as head coach Chris Cicuto called it, featured a few bench players for the Vaqueros. This included right fielder Adam Ochart, who hit a two run home run off Compton pitcher Aldo Montoya in the second inning.

“I had a full count, so with runners in scoring position, I just wanted to hit the ball hard somewhere,” said Ochart. “I got a fastball inside and hit it out. This is my first start of the season and I just wanted to make an impact on the game.”

Second baseman Ryan Daniels, another player who doesn’t get much playing time, had himself a big third inning. After being hit by a Montoya pitch, Daniels stole second and third, and scored on a Michael Sherwin fly ball that found its way between three Tartan defenders.
“I just got really good jumps on those steals,” said Daniels.

Daniels also made a skillful defensive play in the top of the third. Compton first baseman Evan Kenebrew hit a dart to second, and Daniels dove to his right and knocked the ball down, gathered himself and threw Kenebrew out.

“He hit that ball really hard,” said Daniels. “I just dove, it hit me in the palm and I got up and made the throw.

This came in support of GCC pitcher Ryan Sheriff, who threw four strong innings. He got himself into a jam in the second inning, giving up four hits, but only one run.

“Sheriff gave up a couple hits in that inning,” said Cicuto. “But he maintained his composure and got out of it.

The Vaqs got a fourth run in the bottom of the sixth when Josh Canales drove in Juan Sanchez on a single to right field.

Compton scored a run in the second on a single by catcher Daniel Hurdo. The team got another in the fifth when Matthew Young scored on a fielder’s choice.

The ninth inning was hectic, as two Vaquero errors kept Compton alive. With the bases loaded and two outs, pitcher Gustavo Garcia threw a wild pitch, putting the Tartans down by one. Garcia then got Kenebrew to fly out to right field to end the game.

“GCC is a very good team” said Compton Coach Shannon Williams. “We love playing a tough schedule. It lets us know how good our team is. We had our chances in this game with the bases loaded twice, but [Sheriff] really set the tone in the second inning striking out Young with the bases loaded in the second inning.”

This win improves Glendale to 21-12, with an 11-8 record in Western State Conference play.

Compton falls to 17-14 on the season, but 12-6 in the South Coast Conference.
The Vaqueros wrap up the regular season with a conference game against Bakersfield on Thursday at 2 p.m. at Stengal Field.

Vaqs Run, Power Past Tartars