Lady Vaqueros Suffer Fourth Consecutive Loss

Glendale’s womens tennis team lost to Ventura College 7-2 on March 8 at Glendale.

This was Glendale’s fourth loss in a row.
“We have gone from 9 players to 6 players,” Coach Bob Donaghy said.

The two victories came from number three singles player Sindi Concebida and number four singles player Phoebe Minette.

Number one singles player Sevana Zargarian was beaten by Ventura’s Arel Bergthold 6-4, 6-2. Zargarian was able to hit strong backhand shots cross court but many unforced errors from the forehand led to a break of serve in the first set.

Samantha Sismundo, Glendale’s number 2 singles, lost 6-1, 6-2 to Ventura’s Layne Gallimore. If one was to watch the match periodically one would think that Sismundo was in the lead throughout the match. She was hitting strong shot moving her opponent around the court.

Sindi Concebida was able to win against Jessica Hinds of Ventura College 3-6, 6-2, 6-3. Using her unorthodox flat serve Concebiba kept consistenly hitting them in and led to her coming back from a set down.

Going into the doubles round, Glendale was down 4-2 with a chance to win if it could win all three matches. Unfortunately the exact opposite of that happened.

Zargarian/Sismundo lost to Bergthold/Gallimore 8-5. Concebida/Minette lost to Power/Hind 8-4. Lastly, Akmakji/Alvarez lost to Morris/Valdez 8-3.

Even though this is a bad result the coach is not worrying. “I think we have turned the corner. These girls have been practicing hard,” Donaghy said.