Women’s Volleyball Trounces West L.A.

The Lady Vaqueros volleyball team won a resounding victory Friday night against West Los Angeles College with a final score of 3-0 (25-10, 25-4, 25-10).

The first set saw many rallies by Glendale. The set started out 6-1 with Glendale leading. The Wildcats helped increase the Vaqueros’ lead by making numerous service errors and hitting mistakes.

The lead was pushed to 16-8. This forced West L.A. head coach Brian Corso to take a timeout. There was a large contrast between the two teams’ benches. On Glendale’s side, all the players were huddled up and exuded a high amount of energy, while the West L.A. bench players just sat there with their heads down.

A statement shot was made by Glendale freshman outside hitter Sara Kert. At 22-10 she drove a solid spike into a West L.A. player who mishandled the ball. Jessica Alvarez made another great shot. The sophomore outside hitter slammed the ball with cannon-like power to close the set. The shot was so strong that even the scoreboard rocked. The scoreboard read 27-10 at the end of the set instead of the 25-10, which it should have read.

The second set started out with another long Glendale run. At 11-1 sophomore Brittany Frederick was able to get to a ball that was served behind her and drove it with pinpoint accuracy to the back of the court. The score ballooned to 15-1.

Glendale must have felt confident because at one point in the second set, the team sent sophomore Ana Flores to the front row, a place usually designated for taller players. The Vaqueros ended up winning the point.

The third period started out differently from the first two. West L.A. was able to get its first lead of the game at 3-2. Consistent play from the Vaqueros and errors by West L.A. allowed Glendale to take back the lead and eventually win the third set 25-10.

While the season has not gone well for the Lady Vaqueros, the team is looking to finish the season strong. Kert said, “We are going to try and win them all.and go out with a bang…” Alvarez said, “We need to fix the little errors and go out next week against Pierce and win.”

Women’s Volleyball Trounces West L.A.