Lady Vaqs Can’t Overthrow the Monarchs

The Lady Vaqueros couldn’t stand the heat from the sun or from the LA Valley Monarchs as they lost both games of their doubleheader at the Glendale Sports Complex on March 16.

The Monarchs put the heat on Glendale early in the first game to take a 5-2 lead. However, Glendale gave it one final try in the bottom of the sixth inning.

Vaquero freshman Brittni Spear hit a double and was able to steal third base after a wild throw by the Monarchs. Glendale freshman Valerie Garcia quickly followed with a double that allowed Spear to score a run. Garcia was able to score a run after another bad throw by the Monarchs.

Unfortunately, 5-4 was the closest Glendale would get in the first game of the doubleheader.

“We needed better hitting and fewer errors,” said head coach Dave Wilder. “We can’t get ourselves in a hole to start the next game.”
Sadly for Glendale, the second game ended up being more of the same.

The Monarchs opened up the game with a 2-0 lead after a series of bad throws by the Vaqueros.

Vaquero freshman Lexi Hernandez hit a single but was able to run to third base after a Monarch outfield overthrew the ball. Freshman Melissa Sanchez hit a single that allowed Hernandez to bring the score 2-1.

Despite the glimmer of hope, Glendale continued their bad habit of making errors and fell to a 5-1 deficit in the top of the fifth inning. However, the Vaqueros always like to make things interesting.

Glendale swiftly loaded the bases in the bottom of the fifth inning. Garcia hit a double to start things off. Hernandez followed with a single that allowed Garcia to score a run. Vaquero freshman Mayra Maldonado scored a run off a single from freshman Melissa Sanchez. The scoring ended after a risky attempt to steal third by freshman Ailleen Menendez resulted in the third out.

The Monarchs tightened up their defense and went on a scoring tear in the top of the seventh inning to take a 9-4 lead. However, the Lady Vaqs didn’t go down without a fight.
Hernandez hit a single in the bottom of the seventh inning. Freshman Rachael Allen followed with a home run that made the score 9-6. Freshman Jennifer Meza then hit a triple that raised the morale of both the Vaqueros and their fans.

With two outs and the game on the line, it was Spear’s turn to bat. Spear hit the ball deep into the outfield but was caught.

“It was embarrassing,” said Spear. “We didn’t play to our level of expectations and we could have capitalized on rallies to win the game. We are definitely going to improve for our next game. ”

The Lady Vaqueros play next at the Ventura Tournament time to be announced.
For more information contact Alex Leon at (818) 240-1000, ext. 5764.

About the Contributors
Eric Bourse
Eric Bourse, Newsroom Manager
Eric Bourse was born and raised in Hollywood, California. This is Bourse's  fifth year as a member of El Vaquero and has served as writer, editor-in-chief, and newsroom manager. He has covered a variety of topics for the paper including film reviews, news, features and sporting events. His passion is creative writing.
Lady Vaqs Can’t Overthrow the Monarchs