Lady Vaqueros Go Out With a Big Bang!

What better way to end a season and to say farewell to a few teammates then with a victory in Western State Conference play.

April 17 at the Glendale Sports Complex was an exciting day for the Lady Vaqs softball team, with a final score of 7-6 against Bakersfield, setting a school record with 120 season steals.

With a total of 13 one-run losses this season, it was ironic that the Lady Vaqs won their last game by one run.

For sophomores Kelly Korras, Diana Garcia, Desiree Cunanan and Sarah Sardo this was their last game as Lady Vaqs and what an amazing last game it was.

By the second inning the Lady Vaqs were down by three, with Bakersfield leading with a score of five.

What looked like a time to start worrying about the fate of the game for our Lady Vaqs turned to knowing how sad it was going to be for Bakersfield on that long ride home sulking in their loss.

It was game time for the Lady Vaqs, the defense was finally alive. For pitcher Kelly Korras it was strike out after strike out. Coach Dave Wilder said, “it was another great game for Kelly.”

Freshman outfielder Melissa Legaspi scored on second baseman Diana Garcia’s sacrifice fly in the third inning.

Freshman first baseman Krista Smith brought the score to 5-4 after she was brought in on a bunt hit by sophomore infielder Desiree Cunanan in the fourth inning. Bakersfield fought back scoring one more run, not knowing it would be their last in the game.

The fifth inning brought pure excitement, when Smith smacked a fly ball double into left field, knocking in two runs and tying up the game at 6-6.

What came in the sixth inning was unreal. Freshman catcher Kristina Nazarian led with a bunt putting her on first, but not for long as an errant throw allowed her to advance to second. Freshman shortstop Jocelyn Pedraza followed with the second bunt landing her on first and moving Nazarian to third. Legaspi came up to bat with the third consecutive bunt, Bakersfield’s third baseman came in for the catch and threw to first but as she did Nazarian came into home winning the game for the Lady Vaqs.

The Lady Vaqueros end the season with 22-17, 15-10 in conference standing.

Lady Vaqueros Go Out With a Big Bang!