Class of 2024 Celebrate Achievements

Attention Vaqueros! The last day to petition for graduation and have your name in the graduation program is May 13. Spring graduation will take place on June 12 at 7 p.m. in Sartoris Field. 

Graduating or transfer students will earn an Associate degree or a Certificate of Achievement if they meet all the requirements for their respective programs. Forms to petition for these documents can be found on GCC’s website. Students are responsible for completing and returning the forms to the Office of Admissions and Records. 

To be eligible for an Associate degree, a student will need to have a grade point average of 2.0 or higher and have completed 60 degree-applicable units. Students receiving a Certificate of Achievement must complete all the courses needed in their certificate program and have a minimum grade average of 2.0. If a student does not qualify for graduation for any given reason, a letter will be sent out stating missing requirements.

El Vaquero asked graduates about petitioning, and all have shared that the process was smooth and surprisingly easy. While some students may opt to wait for a graduation ceremony after earning their BA or BS, some are excited to participate in the ceremony at GCC.

Ian Genova, a film major who will transfer to Cal State LA said, “I will be walking the stage on June 12th!” After facing so many academic challenges, “I want to be able to really tell myself that I passed GCC.” 

“It is a celebration of all the work I’ve done over the last few years,” said Sarah Valerio, a civil engineering major who will be transferring to CSULB. She’ll also earn two associates in math and physics. 

“Truthfully, I don’t enjoy sitting through long graduation ceremonies,” said Brittany Klintworth, a mass communication and journalism major who will be transferring to Penn State in the Fall.  Klintworth added that it’s a sweet sentiment and a nice option. But It’s not for her. 

Gegham Avagyan, a psych major receiving two associates for transfer in psychology and sociology, will also not be participating. “I don’t think I’ll be walking the graduation ceremony just because I don’t feel like I’m graduating. I’m just transferring, so once I get my BA or MA, I might.” 

For additional information, visit GCC’s Graduation Petition Process: https://www.glendale.edu/students/admissions-records/graduation  

For general graduation information visit: https://www.glendale.edu/students/graduation 

Kylo Tenuta can be reached at [email protected].