Councilmember Plans for Sustainable City

Former mayor of Glendale and current city council member Laura Friedman visited Glendale College to discuss the city’s plans to make the city more sustainable and eco-friendly.

Students and faculty alike gathered in the Cimmarusti Science Center, room 117, to hear Friedman’s lecture.

In an interview prior to the lecture, she discussed how important sustainability is to her and the city. In fact, it was one of the main reasons she ran for office.

She said that she wanted students to leave the lecture wanting to get involved in sustainability measures and for them to know that the city takes sustainability very seriously. It is a major priority that affects all policy decisions.

“I chose to come to the lecture to see what kind of development was going on in Glendale,” Roger Garcia, a current student at GCC and aspiring social worker, said.

About five minutes into the presentation, there were no more seats available and students had to sit the aisles.

Friedman covered topics ranging from waste management, water conservation, and affordable housing. Students frequently asked questions, particularly about affordable housing.

Friedman said the city planned to increase affordable housing complexes around downtown Glendale.

When it came to sustainability, the councilwoman addressed the different ways residents can make Glendale more sustainable through the course of their everyday lives.

Being aware when washing dishes, using laundry water to water plants, or even shorter showers are all small ways that could help in the grand scheme of things.

She also said that getting technology up to speed is an important part of sustainability.

“Ultimately, most of the waste at our landfill will be converted to recycling and whatever is left, will be converted into electricity to use in our homes,” she said.

Friedman will return for another lecture, which is part of an ongoing series of science-related discussions, on March 24 in the same room.

“It’s nice to see that Glendale is taking initiative because this is an issue that absolutely needs to be discussed,” said Thomas Chan, a student and member of the Marine Corps.

Nicolas Rincon
Nicolas Rincon, Staff Writer