El Vaquero and the Insider Magazine Win 11 Awards at Journalism Competition

El Vaquero brought home General Excellence awards for college newspaper and for online journalism at the Journalism Association for Community College’s SoCal competition for student journalists and photojournalists. The conference was held last weekend at Cal State Fullerton.

Editor-in-Chief Sal Polcino was awarded a first place in the mail-in news category from last semester’s March 6 issue on the gun show ban protest at the Glendale Civic Auditorium.

Staff writers Alexander Davis and Alexandra Duncan received second-place awards for the news and feature contests, respectively, while managing editor Agnessa Kasumyan took an honorable mention for her news story.

Staff photographer Kathy Bakowicz took third place in the bring-in photo contest and received honorable mention for an on-the-spot sports photo.

Former editor-in-chief Eric Bourse recieved two honorable mentions, one for copyediting and another for on the spot sports story category.

Staff writer Leah Arzu won fourth place for her Magazine Opinion Article published in The Insider magazine

El Vaquero and The Insider came away with a total of 11 awards and will be competing again next spring at JACC’s State conference in Burbank. For more info visit: www.jacconline.com.