Students Elect New ASGCC Officers

Davit Avagyan, the current vice president of campus relations, edged out [redacted] by 10 votes in last week’s election, to take the position of president/student trustee of the ASGCC.

“I feel really good about the results, because it shows that we had two great candidates this year,” Avagyan said.

Avagyan has been involved in student government since 2008, when he was student body treasurer at Clark Magnet High School. He won the Award of Excellence for Outstanding Leadership in 2011 and a Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition by Congressman Adam Schiff in 2009.

“I plan to advocate for the students voices and to raise school spirits. There are also plans being made, depending on the situation in fall.”

Out of the 1,407 votes counted, Avagyan took 625 and [redacted] had 615. “It was a really close race, but I didn’t quite make it,” [redacted] said.

Current President of ASGCC Arman Marukyan said that he was pleased with this semester’s election. “I’m very happy about the results. Everybody who ran this year was very deserving and they would all do a great job.”

Voting was up 30 percent from the last election. “This semester more people campaigned, so more people voted,” said Student Activities Coordinator Tzoler Oukayan.

Erica Michel Gatica will take over for incumbent Cameron McGee as vice president of administration and Vahe Sargsyan will be the new vice president of finance.

Vedi Khachatourian will remain vice president of campus activities, topping challengers Fred Kim and Nellie Gagloeva

by a wide margin.

Vice president of campus relations will be Solene Manoukian, taking over for Charlie Skaf. Christina Yeghnazarian was elected vice president of campus organizations.

Alex Karibyan was elected as a senator of finance. “With the senator of finance position I will have a say in financial decisions that impact several organizations at GCC as well as the student body as a whole,” Karibyan said.

“I plan on allocating finances to organizations that benefit all students on campus in one

way or another.”

Karibyan said that he is going to make these changes by voting for money to go to those organizations and committees that impact the largest group of students.

Three senators have been named in each category.

Senators of administration: Anahit Grigoryan, Crystal Renee Moreira and George Simonyan.

Senators of finance: Tadeh Gharib, Alex Karibyan and Theodore Arakelian.

Senators of campus activities: Manuel Mikhaeilyan, Anna Aleksanyan and Evet Azarian.

Senators of campus relations: Alex Tamrazian, Stella Yeghnanyan and John Oganian.

Senators of campus organizations: Lucy Garibian, Liyana Avansian and Hailey S. Carlson.

Editor’s Note: A source in the story asked for a redaction of their name. In an attempt to support the write of the piece, we only omitted the source’s name. We apologize for the inconvenience when reading the article. To be clear, El Vaquero is under no obligation to remove names of sources and writers from previous stories, but as we serve a college institution, we consider requests on a case-by-case basis.