Math professor passes unexpectedly

A celebration of life was held for the passing away of math professor Francoise Grand-Clement on April 3, at All Saints Church in Pasadena.

Grand-Clement, passed away on March 25 at age 59 of unknown causes.

Grand-Clement had been teaching math at GCC since 2005 and previously taught for more than 12 years at the Lycée Francais of Los Angeles.

Prior to that, she taught at the University of Montesquieu at Bordeaux, in France.

“Francoise had a tremendous level of involvement in the division activities on campus and was very active on pedagogical issues,” said Isabelle Saber, professor at GCC and adjunct coordinator in the math division.

Professor Grand-Clement obtained a degree in math at Oxford University, as well as a degree at the prestigious École Normale Supérieure in France.

Throughout the service, Rev. Zelda Kennedy and those in attendance thanked God for giving Grand-Clement to her family and friends, who knew and loved her as a companion in their earthly pilgrimage.

Grand-Clement is survived by her husband, Dan Harston, and their daughter Mailys, 17, a high school senior.

She was cremated and will be buried in Hossegor, located in the South of France.
Professor Hsiao-Ying Chang took over Grand-Clement’s Math 100 class, and professor Tony McQuilkin took over her Math 136 class.

A GCC student scholarship is being set up and named after Grand-Clement. Donations are tax deductible and being accepted in professor Saber’s mailbox, or in her office located in SG 316. Checks should be made payable to the GCC Foundation.

Agnes Constante
Agnes Constante, copyeditor
Agnes is a double-major in journalism and political science at Cal State Northridge. She has been on the staff of El Vaquero for several semesters and has enjoyed every minute of being part of Glendale College's student newspaper. She aims to write stories that are relevant to readers.
Math professor passes unexpectedly