Music Department Plays the Classics on Stage

Several music department teachers performed an array of music for a packed house at Kreider Hall last Thursday.

Each semester, members of the music department faculty gather to perform for students and other teachers. Admission is free, but the show is not that long.

Marine Ter-Kazaryan, music professor, pianist and vocalist said, “It really felt wonderful to perform these pieces. They are not often heard. People may not understand what it means but it speaks to them.”

Ter-Kazaryan is a graduate of the Tchaikovsky School of Music in Yerevan with a diploma in piano performance. She also holds a Bachelor of Music degree, Cum Laude in Piano Performance and Vocal Arts, and a Master of Music degree Magna Cum Laude in Vocal Arts from USC. She has toured around the world, including cities in Armenia, Soviet Union, Canada, Mexico, and the United States. She also won the Los Angeles International Liszt Competition.

After singing selected songs by Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov, Ter-Kazaryan, accompanied by Peter Green on the piano, gave way to Gail Acosta on the violin, Jerry Acosta on the guitar, and Bethany Pflueger on the flute. This trio played the Pulcinella Suite by Igor Stravinsky.

After the show, Pflueger said, “It’s a joy to get to play with the faculty here because everyone is so wonderful. It’s really cool to see students’ reactions. It’s important to practice what we preach.”

After the Pulcinella Suite, the Faculty Jazz Quintet, brought the audience back to the future with several modern jazz pieces. They ranged from Bart Howard to Cole Porter. Clare Delto on vocals, Cathlene Pineda on piano, Byron Delto on guitar, Chris Coulter on bass, and Chris Rios on the drums. The jazz band brought the audience to the feel of a club in the 1920s with classics like,  Fly Me to The Moon and Night and Day.

Aidan Rutten
Aidan Rutten, Staff Reporter
Aidan was heavily influenced by his parents, one a retired criminal defense attorney and the other a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist. As he grew older, he had no idea what to do with his life, but several media and video classes later, he found himself in a journalism  and a public relations class here at GCC. After that he decided to take the plunge and join the El Vaquero staff.