Local Activities to Start the Summer

With summer right around the corner some students may be wondering what to do. Many students use their summer to unwind and prepare for the following semester. This list of events has a little bit of everything for students to enjoy their summer vacation.

GCC Classes: There are a multitude of classes offered this summer on campus for either first-time, current students or returning students, coming back to GCC. Classes start June 24 and finish August 1.

Cinespia Screenings at Hollywood Forever Cemetery: Bring your own picnic, a blanket, lawn chairs, and enjoy a classic movie under the stars. A perfect date or a great night out with the family or friends. To check what’s playing and when see out http://cinespia.org

Bali Study Abroad Program through GCC: Summer 2013 registration has already passed, but Summer 2014 dates will be released in Fall 2013. For more information check out www.glendale.edu/index.aspx?page=231

20th Anniversary Glendale Cruise Night Saturday, July 20, 2013: Cruise night is free for all ages! Located on Brand Boulevard approximately 400 pre-1979 cars will be on display for attendees to drool over.

For information check out www.glendalecruisenight.com/

Autry Farmers Market: This farmers market is open to the public every Saturday from 8 am to 1 pm. Local and organic farmers offer fresh vegetables and fruits. Other vendors range from gourmet cheeses and homemade breads, to crepes and freshly brewed coffees. This free event is located at The Autry in Griffith Park, next to the LA Zoo. www.theautry.org/programs/special-events/autry-farmers-market

Americana Summer Concert Series: There are numerous events held throughout the summer. From there free summer concert series to “Yoga on The Green with Lululemon Athletica.” To learn about the events check their website at www.americanaatbrand.com/glendale/entertainment/calendar.

The Natural History Museum: With the Butterfly Pavilion, Dino Lab and Gems and Mineral Vault, there’s plenty to do here. The Butterfly Pavilion offers 53 different types of butterflies and moths. NHM owns one of the most complete T-rex collections in the world and it’s one of the world’s leading dinosaur halls for their individual collections. What NHM holds will never cease to amaze it’s visitors. For more information check out their website: www.nhm.org/site/

College Performances: GCC Concert Singers will perform at the Verizon Ampitheatre in Irvine on July 17 and COMIC-CON in San Diego on July 20.

Kelsey Anderson
Kelsey Anderson, Staff Writer
This is Kelsey Anderson's first semester on the El Vaquero staff. She will be transferring in the fall to San Francisco State University as a journalism major; emphasizing in print and minoring in graphic design. She has written various articles for an Orange County based website called CareerConnections.me In her spare time she enjoys running and long walks with her dog.
Local Activities to Start the Summer