Job Fair Brings Potential Employers to Campus

The smell of fresh tacos wafted throughout Plaza Vaquero as students came in search of employment at the Job Fair on March 31.

The lineup of businesses offering jobs to students included Shakey’s Pizza Parlor, Clear Channel Radio, Dreissig’s Apparel Inc., Los Angeles Police Department and even GCC’s own police department. There were 21 companies total, ranging from private to city employers, said Kathy Kostjal, student services technician.

Flyers, posters and knickknacks flooded the booths as students gravitated towards them.
Because of the hours college students spend attending classes and studying for exams, it is challenging to find time to search for a part-time job. Shakey’s is an option. It includes a thick slice of pizza and a paycheck.

According to spokesperson Linda Bryant, director of human resources, Sherwood “Shakey” established Shakey’s in 1954 at Ye Public House at the corner of 57th and J Streets in Sacramento, Calif. Sherwood combined an everlasting atmosphere of family, food, and entertainment.

“We can tell what generation people are from by the stories they tell us,” said Bryant.

Shakey’s is currently looking to fill their team member opportunities such as food runners, bartenders, cooks and game attendants. To all future energetic employees who are passion hungry for food and great customer service, this might be the career choice.

In general, music is an essential part of college life. Clear Channel Radio’s spokespersons Kiyo Knight and Ernie Kristof, said Clear Channel is the largest radio station owner in America. It offers five part- and full-time jobs ranging from promotions assistant to graphic designer.
“There is always something happening such as concerts, celebrity meetings and live shows . its just fun,” said Kristof.

GCC student Kevin Flores-Ortiz said, “The kind of job that is appealing to me is the job where I can choose my hours. It really doesn’t matter too much. I just want the job to be practical for school.”

Dreissig Apparel Inc. offers just that. Tiffany Kalil, director of Dreissig Lady, said it is a family oriented company, with part-time jobs in direct sales, offering 20 percent commission for their line of women’s clothing. CEO and president, Marc Jones, created the brand in 1998. One is able to work as a sales representative, creating their own flexible schedules.

“It is a great way if you know how to have time management at home versus a corporate job. It’s good to be able to try new things without being contracted,” said Kalil.

The Job Fair provided guidance to students in search of part-time careers, with all potential hires, however, these days, the process of applying for the “dream job” is often an aggravation for the majority.

“It is somewhat difficult to apply for jobs. Businesses seem to not need more employees,” Flores-Ortiz, said. “I think it helps a lot if you know the right people. Applying for a job doesn’t seem to be much of the problem but getting the job you are applying for becomes a competitive thing.”

For more information on student employment opportunities contact the Job Placement Center on the second floor of the San Rafael Building or call (818) 240-1000 ext. 5194

Richard Kontas
Richard Kontas, Production Assistant
Production Manager; Former Editor-in-Chief and Action Sports Photographer.