Little Los Feliz Gem Offers Treats for Both Vegetarians and Meat-eaters

Follow the little brick road, past the trees and mismatched tables, and enter a Los Feliz gem: Alcove Café & Bakery.

A brick walkway leads hungry patrons inside the cozy restaurant, decorated with eclectic antique-style furniture and paintings that were used in Hollywood sets in the ’90s.
The California eatery provides an array of filling dishes for vegetarians and carnivores to happily consume.

Patrons of Alcove order at the cashier desk and are met with the smiling and friendly staff waiting to take the long line of orders.

Limited indoor seating is available, but this local café and bakery is known for its marvelous outdoor patio. The “Garden of Eden” atmosphere provides a relaxing experience of a picnic within nature, all with no interruption from servers anxious to seat new customers.

Alcove provides classic dishes with a modern twist. Vegetarians can feast on “Curried Tofu Benedict” for breakfast or a veggie burger for lunch, made with garbanzo and soybeans, sunflower seeds, and spices.
Meat lovers can dive into Alcove’s juicy lamb burger, ground lamb blended with kalamata olives [and] rosemary or a festive shrimp and lobster omelet topped with tarragon-spiked hollandaise sauce.

Alcove offers a variety of fresh and organic coffees as well as loose-leaf teas, Belgian beer, and a selection of red and white wines.
Meals are filling and made with fresh and simple ingredients. They range from $11.95 for a three-egg, two-pancake, and smoked bacon or sausage breakfast to a $14.95 grilled New York steak eggs Benedict with hollandaise and tarragon sauce.

Alcove’s dessert selection will please any sweet tooth, with its rich four-layer chocolate cake with dark chocolate filling or a brownie cheesecake, drizzled with chocolate glaze, walnuts and hefty chunks of brownie pieces.

Tarts, pies, muffins and cupcakes galore can also be paired with sparkling champagne for a bubbly brunch under the sun.

Though prices may seem steep and entrees a little pretentious, Alcove’s pleasant and tranquil atmosphere paints a different picture. With menu titles like, “Wrap, Not Hip Hop,” “More Stuff Between Bread,” and “Hollywood Bowls,” the café brings fun back to food.

Alcove serves hearty and unique meals while providing beautiful surroundings with trees and hanging lights, giving customers the sense of serenity as many enjoy meals over a good book or intimate conversation.

Alcove Café & Bakery is at 1929 Hillhurst Ave. and is open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Sunday.

For more information, visit www.alcovecafe.com or call 323-644-0100.