Sierra Vista Still Behind

NOT OPENING SOON: Construction of the Sierra Vista Building went from 95 percent complete to 75 percent after internal problems withe the HVAC systems were discovered. The newest projected completion date is December, 2017.

Ken Allard

Mark Nassim, Elena Jacobson, Staff Writer

After multiple delays of the Sierra Vista building construction, the expected occupancy date remains set for spring 2018.

Sierra Vista has been under construction since 2013 and was initially expected to be completed Dec. 10, 2015. The completion dates have since been pushed numerous times.

It’s 2017, and the construction hasn’t gone smoothly. Constant delays of the multimillion-dollar project led to the replacement of Mallcraft Inc. with another contractor.

The change was due to alleged damages to the building by the previous workers at Mallcraft Inc., including problems with the insulation, heating ventilation and air conditioning, (HVAC), and fire dampers.

These hurdles have forced different departments and classes that were going to occupy the building to move around, some to portable classrooms. But school officials are determined to make sure things are done right next time and still hopeful in getting the building done.

The college is about to have more constructions and repairs funded by the newly approved Measure GC.

“As we move forward with the $325 million bond, it will be making sure that we are assembling a team that does fulfill all of its responsibilities,” said David Viar, superintendent/president of the college. “Whether it is the architect, the engineer, the construction management organization we bring in place, that we do follow through and make sure that they are doing it the way that they should.”

Toby Hayward, INC., the newly appointed construction company, is working on repairing the mistakes of the first company, as well as finishing the remaining work needed to complete the building. The current completion status is still set at 75 percent.

“I had to have been careful after having been told certain things and continue to be another three months…another three months.” David Viar said. “That is where we believe it is at this point. We are getting back to where we should be on.”

The Sierra Vista building has been under construction for 5 years now, and it only now is on track to being completed.   

“What we are on track is to be have it completed and move in of December of 2017.” Viar said “So, that’s where we are heading.”

• Sierra Vista Still Behind

Sports

Vaquero Men’s Tennis Pushing for the Playoffs

• Sierra Vista Still Behind

Editorial>>Polls

College Engineering Student Doing It Big

• Sierra Vista Still Behind

Top Stories

DANCE PHANATIX:

• News

Live Stream: Watch Conclusion of Rain-Delayed Vaqs Baseball Game Against Citrus

• Sierra Vista Still Behind

Arts and Entertainment

David Bowie: Among the Mexican Masters at Forest Lawn

• Sierra Vista Still Behind

News

There’s Lots of Parking (If you know where to look)

• Sierra Vista Still Behind

News

El Vaquero and the Insider Magazine Win Big at California College Media Awards Banquet in San Francisco

• Sierra Vista Still Behind

News

Town Hall Meeting Draws Large Crowd

• Sierra Vista Still Behind

News

Women’s March Draws 750,00 Peaceful Protesters

• Sierra Vista Still Behind

News

Long Time El Vaquero Adviser Bids Adieu

Sierra Vista Still Behind