Tips for Graduation
May 2, 2013
More than 450 students graduated GCC with their Associated in Science or Arts Degree in June 2012 and it’s not as difficult as one may think. The process is quite simple and can be accomplished in just a few simple steps.
What all students should know is that graduating from GCC doesn’t have to be with a degree, but can also be accomplished with a certificate of completion.
1. When first starting at GCC, be sure to make a meeting with a transfer counselor or counselor depending on your desired path, regarding your major. They will create an educational plan for each student to follow that also corresponds with earning an Associates Degree or Certificate of Completion of their choice.
2. When registering for classes, be sure to stick to the course outline designed for you. Earning a C or better will get students credit towards graduation. There is a minimum of 60 units required for Associate Degrees for all students. A 2.0 GPA is also required.
3. Once your final semester is approaching, make one last appointment with your counselor to finalize graduation. Ask for the “graduation petition,” fill it out and turn it into Administration and Records to be processed.
4. If you attended any other college(s) other than GCC have your transcripts sent to GCC at “Administration and Records” 1500 North Verdugo Road, Glendale, CA 91208.
5. After receiving the envelope from the Student Center regarding graduation, make sure to read through the letters and reply with your intention to walk. If one wants to participate in the ceremony.
6. If you have any questions be sure to talk to your counselor.
Caps and Gowns: can be bought in the Bookstore for $37.50 plus tax. Various sizes are available to try on in advanced. For any out-of-town graduates, you will be able to purchase a cap and gown at the Bookstore Wednesday, June 12, 2013 from 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.
Commencement Ceremony and Reception: Parents and friends are invited to attend the ceremony free of charge and no tickets are necessary. Graduating students and guests are also invited to an on campus reception hosted by ASGCC immediately following the graduation ceremony.
Graduation Announcements and diploma covers are available in the Bookstore. If you want to personalize your announcements, there are many printing stores around Glendale. Be sure to order your announcements early if you plan to do so.
Graduation Practice: Two practices will be held Monday, June 3 at 11:00 am and 6 pm. They will last about 30 minutes and students are strongly recommended to at least one practice.
Graduation Day: Arrive dressed in your cap and gown by 5:30 in the Library Patio to form a procession line. Personal items can be left in assigned rooms during the ceremony. The procession of graduates to Sartoris Field will begin sharply at 6:15 pm.
Photographs: Photographers won’t be allowed on the field but a professional will be photographing graduates on stage. A free color proof will be sent by mail to each graduate, but there is no obligation to order any.
Maps and Directions: Included in the envelope sent by the ASGCC is a detailed map to help your guests get around campus comfortably.
Parking for Disabled: Please contact the GCC Police Department if you or your guest needs disabled parking and you have a valid California placard. GCCPD can be reached at (818) 551-5205. There will be a “drop off only” zone near Sartoris Field as indicated on the map.
Congratulations on your achievement!
If you have any further questions please call the Student Affairs Office at (818) 240-1000 ext. 5592 or check the commencement web page at www.glendale.edu/graduation.